Financial Counseling and Planning
This program is ranked by Financial Planning as one of the Top 35 Great Financial Planning programs. In financial counseling and planning, you'll learn how to combine your financial aptitude with communication skills to help others achieve financial security. If you’re interested in helping individuals and families improve their lives through financial literacy this program may be the perfect fit for you. Courses are taught by faculty and industry professionals to bring a combination of theory, research, and the most up-to-date business practices into the classroom. The program is registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board, and successful completion of the program satisfies the education component of the CFP® certification process.
- Bank Trust Officer
- Business and Financial Analyst
- Employee Benefits Administrator
- Entrepreneur, business owner
- Financial Aid Director
- Financial Counselor
- Financial Planner
- Insurance Representative
- Loan Officer
- Personal banker
- Risk Analyst
- Complete an internship in a variety of settings including investment and brokerage firms, insurance agencies, banks, financial planning firms, or credit counseling offices.
- Use the latest industry software and technology to solve financial case studies.
- Compete in industry case study competitions for financial counseling and planning.
- Participate in the Purdue Collegiate Financial Planning Club to gain insight in the industry and participate in community service learning projects.
- Personal Finance
- Consumer Investments
- Employee Benefits
- Retirement Planning
- Interpersonal Communication
- Ethics in Financial Planning
- Federal Tax Law
- Business Law
- Personal Finance
- Complete list of CSR courses and descriptions
Virtual Tour of Consumer Science
Take a virtual tour of the Department of Consumer Science
Sample Degree Requirements
How do I switch my major?
If you are interested in switching your major to Financial Counseling and Planning, please visit the Change of Degree Objective (CODO) page to learn more about the process to enter the College of Health & Human Sciences.
How do I transfer to Purdue?
If you are interested in transferring to Financial Counseling and Planning from another college or university, please visit the Future Transfer Students page to learn more about the steps needed to finish your degree at Purdue University.