Message from Board President
Dear HHS Alumni,
As Purdue students return to campus for another year on Monday Thursday, August 19, the HHS Alumni Board hopes you will join us for our many HHS events this fall.
A few announcements:
I would like to acknowledge and thank Jane Link, past HHS Alumni Board President, for all of her hard work and dedication she has given not only to HHS but Purdue University as well. Jane will remain an active member on the HHS Alumni Board for at least another year.
I would also like to acknowledge Patsy Mellott who has served on the HHS Board since the college formed and has fulfilled her term.
The HHS Alumni Board are currently taking applications for the 2014 Board. If you would like to serve please go to http://www.purdue.edu/hhs/alumni/board/index.php to download the application and for additional information.
I encourage and welcome you to one, or more, of our upcoming events:
- This year HHS celebrates the School of Nursing’s 50th Anniversary; on September 27th there will be a special School of Nursing Alumni Reception held before the Homecoming Parade in the East Faculty Lounge from 6:00-7:30 PM.
- "Coming Home": Homecoming 2013, September 28th. Join us in the HHS Homecoming tent hosted by Alumni Board, HHS Staff and Students on Saturday, September 28 from 9am to 11am. The HHS Student Council, keeping with tradition, will also be holding their silent auction as well. The HHS tents are located on the Stadium Mall in front of Johnson Hall. After having breakfast and reconnecting with fellow alumni in the tent, take a tour of Nursing’s Johnson Hall and see the many great things happening in the School of Nursing.
- Friday October 11th, Presidents Council Members Back to Class Sessions - Nursing and Hospitality and Tourism Management, College of Health and Human Sciences together will present "Up, up, and Away: Tools to Access and Manage your Health Data in the cloud". Also, Health and Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Sciences, and Civil Engineering, will together present "Renovation and Rehabilitation of the Purdue Ward L. Lambert Fieldhouse and Gymnasium." These classes are scheduled to be during Session 3, 12:45-2:00 PM.
- November 3-5, Old Masters will be on campus where they will participate in classroom talks, student organization receptions and social activities. HHS is proud to announce we have two alumna participating: Julie Eddleman (B.S. and M.S. consumer and family science) who is the marketing director, Procter & Gamble, Co. and Virginia Jacko (M.S. financial counseling) who was a financial executive at Purdue for 24 years and current CEO of Miami Lighthouse. Virginia was also presented with an HHS Distinguished Alumni award in 2012.
- March 28 – April 12th, 2014 will be HHS’ annual Life Inspired series of events — to see all of the events visit www.purdue.edu/hhs/lifeinpsired. Many events, presentations and dinners are offered throughout Life Inspired. This year the HHS Distinguished Alumni awards banquet will be held on Friday, March 28th. I encourage as many alumni to attend this wonderful dinner.
- Tuesday, April 1, 2014. Life Inspired’s Keynote speaker will be Prof. Frans de Waal, who is a Dutch/American behavioral biologist known for his work on the social intelligence of primates. His first book, Chimpanzee Politics (1982) compared the schmoozing and scheming of chimpanzees involved in power struggles with that of human politicians. Ever since, de Waal has drawn parallels between primate and human behavior, from peacemaking and morality to culture.
As you can see many great things are happening in our College and I encourage as many of our alumni to travel back to campus to see the great strides our young college has made over the last few years. Should you have any questions regarding the various events and opportunities, don’t hesitate to contact Travis Tester, the College’s Director of Donor Relations and Events – firstname.lastname@example.org.
President, HHS Alumni Board 2013-2014