Latin American Children & Families: The Costa Rican Experience
Join us on our voyage through Costa Rica, where we will tour San Jose and Earth University at Limon, visit family homes, experience urban and rural communities in need, engage in service learning in schools that serve disadvantaged children, visit institutions that assist children and their families, learn about children’s education and Latino-American values. Participants will also have opportunities to experience the natural beauty for which Costa Rica is famous. You will explore the rainforests, see unique wildlife, traverse the jungle canopy, raft rapid-filled rivers, and enjoy the beaches. This 12-day trip offers you the chance to earn 3 credits as we make our way from San Jose through Costa Rica’s beautiful countryside to its sensational Caribbean beach.
- Learn about Latino-American families and children
- Stay one night at the home of a Costa-Rican family
- Visit schools for elementary and secondary students; engage in service learning activities with these children (e.g. recreational activities, teaching English, telling them about the U.S.)
- Visit national institutions for the protection of children
- Interact with Costa Rican college students
- Experience Costa Rica’s famous pristine nature: rainforest, volcanoes, beaches
- Know Costa Rica as a paradise for eco-tourism
- Have fun while you learn: meet people, do rafting and canopy, or relax at the beach
Fees and Scholarships
Apply for a Tse Scholarship for a 2012 study abroad program. Application deadline is October 14.
Visit Purdue Study Abroad for other scholarships that may available.
- CDFS 39800