Saturday - Sunday, April 13 & 14 - School of Nursing at Purdue Springfest
Tent Location Coming Soon
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Come for the Helen R. Johnson Conference and stay over to enjoy Purdue's annual Springfest.
This annual, two-day event is packed with hands-on activities for all ages. Visit the School of Nursing tent and participate in a wide-variety of wellness activities organized and executed by our Nursing students.
The School of Nursing tent theme is "Growing into a Healthier You." People of all ages can participate in fun, hands-on, health-related activities. Free crafts and health information will be available.
Here is a list of some of the activities taking place in our tent:
- Learn how to "Grow a Healthy Heart." Discover what could be contributing to your high blood pressure and have your blood pressure checked by Purdue nursing students while relaxing with us in our garden.
- "Stay Away Tooth Decay!" Come practice proper oral hygiene care on a larger than life model and receive supplies to help maintain your oral hygiene.
- Discover how smoking may be affecting you or a loved one's health. Identify things that they can do to help them quit. Practice breathing like a smoker and see what builds up in the lungs.
- "Sleep Tight, Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite" when you drop by and participate in pillowcase decorating and story time, which are offered at certain times throughout the day to help children and parents identify healthy sleep habits.
- Help us identify the differences between buddies and bullies as we work towards "Burying Bulling and Growing into Friends." Parents, there will helpful tools for you to identify the potential effects of bullying.
- Join us as we learn to grow plants and nurture children's positive mental health. We will have handouts and tools to help build a positive self-image.
- Stop by "Spring in Full Bloom" to pick up handouts on Asthma and Allergies. Also, identify possible asthma and allergy irritants using our 3D model. While you're there pick up some lotion samples to keep your skin smooth and healthy.
- Parents bring your children to our Pediatrics Table for a developmental screening that will determine their BMI and growth and compare to the average.
- Advanced practice students will be advising parents on how to obtain safe and credible health information via the Internet. They will also advise on how to navigate being a person in the "sandwich generation."
Our "Sleep Tight, Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite" booth will be hosting specific activities throughout the weekend:
- Pillowcase decorating
- Saturday from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday from 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Story time for children
- Saturday at 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
Purdue Springfest. It's part education, part entertainment and all fun!