Molecular Signaling and Cancer Biology
Mentor / Lab:
Dr. Robert Geahlen
Specific Research Area / Project:
The role of Syk at the centrosome
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
"My research project encompasses studying the role of Syk, a tyrosine kinase, in breast cancer. The long-term goal of my thesis project is to decipher the mechanism by which Syk localizes to the centrosome and its role in signaling there. One function of the centrosome is to organize microtubules and mediate microtubule dynamics. My research has shown that Syk enhances microtubule stability and plays a significant role in microtubule dynamics. I hypothesize that Syk plays a role in breast cancer motility via microtubule stability and modulation of signaling pathways at the centrosome via phosphorylation."
My experience with Purdue/PULSe is difficult to sum up in words, except for one phrase that comes to mind: an interdisciplinary family! Graduate school can be hectic at times with laboratory research, classes, etc. PULSe makes it very easy for students to transition into a graduate research atmosphere by providing valuable guidance, research laboratory experiences throughout the campus, travel funding for attending conferences, and fun picnics and socials with fellow grad students. One of my favorite memories/experiences has been attending a FASEB conference in Colorado this past summer. I was able to present my research and experience hiking in the mountains with my lab mates.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Fellowship (2012)
- PULSe Travel Award (2012)
- Purdue Engagement Grant (to support Science in Schools outreach program) (2011, 2012)
- M. Krisenko, W.H. Wang, and R. L. Geahlen (2012, April) The role of Syk at the centrosome. Poster presented at the 2012 Office of Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs’ Spring Reception, West Lafayette, IN.
- M. Krisenko, W.H. Wang, and R. L. Geahlen (2012, July) The role of Syk at the centrosome. Poster presented at the 2012 FASEB: Tyrosine kinase signaling in cancer, disease, & development, Snowmass, Colorado.
- 2012-2013 PULSe Graduate Student Organization (GSO), Vice-President
- 2011-2012 PULSe Graduate Student Organization (GSO), Treasurer
- Science in Schools Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- Science in Schools Participant, 2010-2013
- First-Year Mentoring, 2011-2012