West Lafayette and Lafayette Community Rankings
The home of Purdue University is West Lafayette and its neighboring city, Lafayette. A combination of big city activity and small-town charm is one of the reasons Greater Lafayette is consistently ranked nationally as a great place to live, work, and raise a family.
The area is also known for its high quality public school system. In January, 2009, West Lafayette High School was named the best high school in Indiana by Business Week and was named one of the nation's best by U.S.News & World Report in December, 2008.
- West Lafayette is the #10 best college town in America according to the American Institute for Economic Research's College Destination Index in 2016
- According to Lumosity, the greater West Lafayette-Lafayette community is America's 3rd smartest city.
- The West Lafayette-Lafayette community is the #12 best college town in America per the American Institute for Economic Research's College Destination Index.
- West Lafayette is ranked the 6th most-educated small town in America (Forbes, 2009).
- West Lafayette ranks 29th amongst college towns for home price affordability in the 2009 Annual College Town Home Price Affordability Index, a ranking that provides an apples-to-apples comparison of similarly sized 2,200 square foot, four-bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom houses in college markets (Coldwell Banker Real Estate LLC, 2009).
- Purdue boasts the 4th best college golf course in the country. Purdue's Kampen Course at the Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex, designed by Pete Dye, ranks fourth in Golfchannel.com's list of the Top Ten College Golf Courses. Purdue's two golf courses, Kampen and Ackerman Hills, are located adjacent to the West Lafayette campus and both are open to the public (Golfchannel.com, 2009).