Academic requirements for Graduate Study in the IBSC graduate program
Curriculum of the IBSC graduate program
Applicants will be admitted as Doctoral candidates only. The course plan should be formed through a dissertation committee, based on the strengths and weaknesses of the student's background.
Students will be required to take:
90 total credit hours of course work and research
- 28 minimal credit hours of graduate (500 & 600 level) course work (didactic courses)
28 is a minimum. The student's thesis committee may require additional courses.
Any remedial course work to meet prerequisites (300, 400 level courses) will not count towards the 28 credit minimum coursework, but may count towards the total 90 credit hours.
- The composition of 28 minimal credit hours of graduate course work
12 Credits from Biology/Biochemistry
6 Credits from Engineering/Science
6 Credits from Math/Statistics
1 Credit of the BME quantitative literature assessment course (Fall of first year).
2 credits of laboratory skills modules
1 credit hour of graduate level ethics
- One semester, BME 690 graduate seminar* (offered fall and spring)
- One semester, BMS 692 graduate seminar (offered spring only)
- Summer seminar presentation
- Two published peer review papers
*NOTE: One semester of BME 595E Biomedship seminar may be used in place of one semester of BME 690