Tips for Reducing Travel Costs
When identifying your travel options and associated costs, please consider the following:
- Consult multiple sources to maximize the use of your funds. While Purdue University does not endorse any specific travel services provider, you may wish to visit Internet sites such as Kayak, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Qixo, Sidestep, Cheapflights, and Expedia to conduct your initial research.
- Avoid service charges by booking your arrangements directly on the airline and hotel's Web site.
- Search for multiple airports, such as Indianapolis and Chicago for your arrival airport, and search multiple dates. Travelocity and some airline and hotel sites offer flexible date searches.
- As you compare hotel prices, consider that Purdue has negotiated special nightly rates for Grad Expo attendees at local hotels, all of which provide a free shuttle to campus. See the Accommodations section for more details.
- Share hotel accommodations or carpool, if you are acquainted with other students that will also attend the Grad Expo.
- Consider requesting supplemental funding from your current academic department or special development program in which you participate. Some departments or programs offer assistance to students interested in participating in professional development opportunities, like the Graduate School Expo.
- Make your travel plans as soon as possible. Many travel arrangements are cheaper if they are booked several weeks in advance.
- Bid on airfare or hotel rooms at sites like Priceline or Hotwire.
- Consider that many airfare sales are released on Tuesday and early Saturday morning.
- Check airfare rates often, since they can change daily and even at different times within a single day.
- Look for last minute specials. Some airlines offer last minute specials by email or offer sales only available on their Web sites.