Searching for Funding
Start early, usually one year before you start Graduate School
- Application deadlines often occur early in the fall for fellowships or late spring for assistantships.
Review Understanding Funding
- Complete the Funding Activity on the Professional Development Community.
Query the Graduate School Funding Database
- Locate opportunities that align with your goals and needs.
- Search the Graduate School Funding Database
Contact your graduate program
- Teaching and research positions are most often available through your department or college.
Search outside your department
- Mathematics or Foreign Languages & Literature will hire teaching assistants from other graduate programs.
- Libraries and Residence Halls, and Student Services hire graduate students as administrative/professional staff.
Use your network
- Use your network of colleagues, faculty, and staff to identify funding opportunities for graduate school as well as future career opportunities. Review the Networking Narratives module on the Professional Development Community.
Review the Proposal Writing Workshop
- Complete your fellowship application using the resources found on the Professional Development Community.