National Physical Science Consortium - Graduate Fellowships in Science, Engineering, & Math
The NPSC Fellowship Program offers predoctoral and dissertation fellowships for students in the physical sciences, mathematics, and related engineering fields. The program is open to all U.S. citizens and especially welcomes applications from historically underrepresented minorities and women.
NPSC offers two fellowship programs:
I. Traditional NPSC Fellowship Program
This program offers predoctoral fellowships for students in the early stages of their graduate educations. Initial support may be for two or three years, or for a full six years, depending on the sponsor. Students typically apply during their first or second year in graduate school or during their senior year of college.
II. Dissertation Fellowship Program
This program supports students as they conduct dissertation research. Students should apply in the year prior to the beginning of their dissertation research project. Up to four years of support is available.
Individual fellowships are funded by NPSC sponsor organizations. Along with funding the fellowshps, these organizations also provide summer internship opportunities, mentors, and (in many cases) opportunities for employment following the fellowship.
Sponsors and their Areas of Interest:
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Livermore, CA : Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Materials Science, Mathematics, Physics.
- National Security Agency - Ft Meade, MD: Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Materials Science, Mathematics, Physics.
- Sandia National Laboratory - Livermore, CA: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Geology, Materials Science, Mathematics, Physics.
- Sandia National Laboratory - Albuquerque, NM: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science, Materials Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics.
- National Institute for Standards and Technology - Gaithersburg, MD and Boulder, CO: Bioscience & Health, Building & fire Research, Chemistry, Climate, Electronics & Telecommunications, Energy, Environment, Information Technology, Manufacturing, Materials Science, Math, Nanotechnology, Physics, Public Safety & Security, and Transportation.
- NPSC welcomes applications from any qualified U.S. citizen who has the ability to pursue graduate work at an NPSC member institution (the University of Illinois is a member institution).
- For the Traditional Program: Applicant must be a senior undergaduate student or a first or second year graduate student; or, applicant must be in a terminal master's program if the university offers no Ph.D. in the discipline; or, the applicant is returning from the workforce.
- For the Dissertation Support Program, applicant must be near the point at which his/her dissertation research will begin.
- Persons who already possess a doctoral degree in any field are ineligible.
- $20,000 annual stipend.
- Tuition waiver and coverage of mandatory fees.
- One or two paid summer internships.
- Fellows may also hold a research or teaching assistantship.
National Physical Science Consortium
3716 S. Hope St., Suite 348
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Tel: (800) 854-NPSC
Fax: (213) 821-2407
- American Geosciences Institute (AGI) - Minority Geoscience Scholarships
- American Musicological Society - Howard Mayer Brown Fellowship in Musicology
- American Planning Association - Planning Fellowships
- Association of Schools of Public Health/US Center for Disease Control
- Dewson - Fellowship for Underrepresented Students
- Gordon Research Conferences
- Walter Library Underrepresented Minority Dissertation Fellowship
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National GEM Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA) F31
- National Physical Science Consortium
- Navajo Nation - Graduate Fellowship
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) - Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Future Engineering Faculty Fellowships
- Sandia National Laboratories - Master's Fellowship Program
- School for Advanced Research (SAR) - Resident Scholars Awards
- Smithsonian Institution - Awards Program for Native American Students
- Smithsonian Institution - Predoctoral, Dissertation, & Postdoctoral Fellowships