The Graduate School Advance to a Higher Degree

National Institutes of Health (NIH) - National Institute of Aging (NIA) - Aging Research Dissertation Awards to Increase Diversity (R36)

Deadline: Three deadlines: 2/16, 6/16, and 10/16

The National Institute on Aging announces the availability of dissertation awards in all areas of research within the Institute's mandate to increase the diversity of the research workforce on aging. The fellowship is for up to 2 years. The broad research areas supported by the NIA are: Biology of Aging, Behavioral and Social Research on Aging, Neuroscience and Neurophysiology of Aging, and Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology (see: Priority areas within these programs are described on the individual web sites. The NIA particularly encourages interdisciplinary research whose focus may span the areas of interest of more than one program.


  • Applicant must be registered in an accredited research doctoral degree program;
  • Applicant must be in good-standing in that program;
  • Applicant must have completed all non-dissertation requirements for his/her degree by the anticipated start date of the award (except a clinical internship where that is required to follow the dissertation phase);
  • Applicant's doctoral committee has approved his/her dissertation proposal;
  • Applicant is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national (e.g., residents of U.S. territories), or permanent resident by the time of award.

Award amount:

  • $22,032 stipend per year
  • Up to $15,000 for additional expenses.

Michael-David ARR Kerns, M.B.A., M.S., Ph.D.
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute on Aging
7201 Wisconsin Ave., Ste. 2C-218
Bethesda, MD 20814
Telephone: 301-402-7713
Fax: 301-402-2945


Ernest C. Young Hall, Room 170 | 155  S. Grant Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2114 | 765-494-2600

© 2017 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by The Purdue University Graduate School

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact The Purdue University Graduate School.