The Purdue University Strategic Plan for 2008-2014, "New Synergies," outlines a number of strategies for the goal "Meeting Global Challenges." In its April 2010 report to Purdue, the American Council on Education, Center for Effective Leadership, recommended the creation of a Global Council (GC) to fulfill the goals and strategies of Purdue’s strategic plan. In response to this recommendation, Purdue University established a Global Council with the following charge:
- Provide leadership in meeting the goal Meeting Global Challenges and in seeking synergies with the goals Discovery with Delivery and Launching Tomorrow’s Leaders.
- Develop and drive the implementation of a coordinated University strategy for Meeting Global Challenges.
- Develop a culture of collaboration for internationalization.
- Clarify the responsibilities and authorities of all positions and offices of Purdue relating to internationalization.
- Emphasize the need for coordination across academic units with respect to international endeavors.
- Define the linkage between faculty governance and the Global Council.
- Communicate international initiatives and plans and their impacts with the Board of Trustees and State stakeholders.