STAR (Summer Transition, Advising, and Registration) is Purdue's required orientation program for new, domestic, first-year and transfer students. During STAR you spend a full day (7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) attending orientation sessions, meeting your academic advisor, registering for fall semester classes, and getting ready to begin your academic career at Purdue in August.
For more information and to register for STAR, please visit the main STAR website.
Once you have registered for your STAR date, please complete the online mathematics placement called ALEKS and the Pre-Registration Survey. Your academic advisor is expecting you to come to STAR prepared, and that means completing these two assignments.
VSTAR 2014 for International Students and STAR Exceptions
International students and students receiving exceptions are not required to attend STAR. The following information will help you understand the Academic Advising and Registration Process at Purdue.
Virtual Summer Transition, Advising and Registration (VSTAR) is Purdue's online course for new undergraduate students who do not attend STAR. The course will help students learn about campus resources, how to use and navigate myPurdue, explain the ALEKS Math Assessment and provide the students with the information necessary to register for fall classes.
In preparation of your meeting with your academic advisor please complete the following tasks:
- Virtual STAR (VSTAR): Information about VSTAR will be sent to you in early May. Select the section for "Exploratory Studies" students. As part of VSTAR, you will take a required online mathematics placement called ALEKS. Please reserve 2 hours to complete the ALEKS test.
- Exploratory Studies VSTAR Steps:
- Complete the Pre-Registration Survey.
- Complete the Supplemental Information Form for International Students.
- Watch the Welcome to Exploratory Studies video.
- After your registration appointment you will register for classes in myPurdue.