Assistant Professor, Qualitative Inquiry, (002911-2013)
Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Purdue University seeks an Assistant Professor, Qualitative Inquiry, starting in August 2014. This is an academic year tenure-track faculty position. The position also includes the possibility for summer employment.
Position responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain a strong research agenda in qualitative research methodology as evidenced by refereed publications and external and internal grant support.
- Teach face-to -face and on-line masters and doctoral in introductory and advanced qualitative research, and core courses in pre-service teacher education, as appropriate.
- Recruit, advise and mentor masters and doctoral students.
- Collaborate with faculty in the COE and other colleges at Purdue University to promote and advance qualitative inquiry. Provide coordination and leadership for qualitative research courses and graduate training in qualitative inquiry.
- The Purdue College of Education is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. The successful candidate will be expected to be able to demonstrate emphasis in at least one of these areas.
Required: Earned doctorate in one of the graduate areas in Curriculum and Instruction (see http://www.edci.purdue.edu/grad_studies/program_areas.html). Significant demonstrated experience in qualitative research methodologies and capacity to teach in this area. Ability to teach to a wide and diverse audience, including graduate students from STEM fields. Ability to provide leadership in the area of graduate training in qualitative inquiry, and promote and expand the department's role in providing high-quality methodology training for graduate students university-wide.
Preferred: Earned doctorate in Curriculum Studies (or closely related field). Experience in a tenure-track position. Graduate level teaching experience, including face-to-face qualitative methodology courses. Ability to teach courses in Curriculum Studies, including multicultural education and related areas. Experience working with doctoral students. Record of published qualitative research. Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration.
Review of applications will begin October 19, 2013 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants can apply electronically by sending the following as a Word or PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org : 1) letter of application; 2) curriculum vitae; 3) two writing samples (e.g., published article, book chapter); 4) statement of research goals and plans; 5) sample qualitative inquiry syllabus, appropriate for an introductory doctoral level course for a campus-wide audience; and 6) three letters of recommendation submitted by the writer under separate cover. Inquiries about the position may be directed to:
Professor Nadine Dolby, Search Committee Chair
c/o Gina Haines (email@example.com)
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
100 N. University St.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2098
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction: The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers high quality learning programs to prepare education professionals for positions in schools, higher education, and the workplace. Our faculty conducts research that links theory to practice leading to new discoveries in many aspects of the teaching and learning process across a wide variety of educational contexts. C&I serves the needs of society through engagement with our local, state, national, and international communities. We value collaboration, community, diversity, global perspectives, inquiry, and reflection, and we aspire to provide educational leadership in an increasingly diverse, interconnected, and technology-rich world. Additional information about the department is available at: http://www.edci.purdue.edu.
THE UNIVERSITY: Purdue, a leading land grant and research university, ranks among the 15 largest universities in the nation. The university has an enrollment of more than 38,000 on the West Lafayette Campus and more than 14,000 on the regional campuses in Indiana. It is located in West Lafayette, IN, 65 miles northwest of Indianapolis and 125 miles southeast of Chicago.A background check will be required for employment in this position.