What is Purdue Extension
In each county of the state, Purdue Extension educators bring the expertise and resources of Purdue University to address the needs of Indiana’s families in the areas of:
- Children and Families
- Food and Health
- Home and Money
Consumer and Family Sciences Extension provides informal educational programs that increase knowledge, influence attitudes, teach skills, and inspire aspirations. Through the adoption and application of these practices, the quality of individual, family, and community life is improved.
Consumer and Family Sciences Extension is a part of the mission of the College of Consumer and Family Sciences at Purdue University and Purdue Extension.
Consumer and Family Sciences Extension brings staff and volunteer expertise together to address the needs and priority issues facing Indiana’s families. Five specific objectives are addressed.
- provide education from numerous disciplines addressing societal issues of concern to individuals and families
- assist communities in analyzing the status of families and identifying appropriate community action to meet the needs of families
- train volunteers and paraprofessionals to assist the Extension Consumer and Family Sciences program
- motivate people to become involved in community issues and development of leadership potential in those people
- and collaborate with other Extension program areas, and form partnerships with other agencies, community organizations, and educational groups