To: Executive Vice Presidents, Chancellors, Vice Presidents, Vice Chancellors, Vice Provosts, Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions and Offices
From: Steven R. Schultz, Legal Counsel
Re: Office of Legal Counsel Updates
Date: October 17, 2016
I am pleased to announce that, at Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting, Trent Klingerman was elected to the office of Assistant Legal Counsel, filling a vacancy existing under the bylaws of The Trustees of Purdue University.
This election marks Trent’s official transition to Purdue’s Office of Legal Counsel from his role as the University’s Vice President for Human Resources, a position in which he has served with distinction for the past two years (in addition to his prior service as Director of Employee Relations since November 2012). It also marks the first time in the University’s nearly 150-year history in which we have had an internal lawyer serving as Assistant Legal Counsel, an elected officer position prescribed in the Trustees’ bylaws.
In addition to serving as the University’s deputy general counsel, Trent will serve as Purdue’s chief privacy officer and as primary campus counsel to both Purdue Northwest and IPFW.
This historic development provides an opportunity to share a current snapshot of the Office of Legal Counsel as it has developed over the past three-plus years. Our attorneys and legal assistants now include:
- Steve Schultz, Legal Counsel. As the University’s general counsel, Steve serves as the chief legal officer in the Purdue system, responsible for advising the Trustees, the president and senior administrators on issues of law, governance and risk management and overseeing and directing the representation of the University in all legal matters.
- Trent Klingerman, Assistant Legal Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer. Through the roles described above, Trent will focus particularly on faculty, staff and student matters, privacy and public records issues, and litigation management.
- Adrian Allen, Associate Counsel for Facilities and Finance. Adrian’s primary areas of concentration are construction law, procurement issues, litigation and contract matters, in addition to providing legal and governance support for University financings.
- Abby Daniels, University Records Administrator and Staff Counsel. Abby handles public records requests and advises on information security and privacy issues, including FERPA. She also serves as the office’s point of contact for various administrative units.
- Tandra Foster, Associate Counsel for Human Resources and Academic Affairs. Tandra provides advice and assistance on employee relations, compliance, contracts and University policies in the human resources area, as well as legal and regulatory issues arising in various academic affairs matters.
- Amanda Redick, Associate Counsel for Corporate and Global Partnerships. Amanda advises on a broad range of issues, including sponsored program contracting, international contracting, immigration and collections. Amanda also advises on structuring global programs and university-affiliated activities and serves as special counsel on various projects for Purdue International, Inc., and Purdue Research Foundation.
- Deb Trice, Associate Counsel for Student Affairs. In addition to serving as Director of Compliance in the Office of Vice President for Ethics and Compliance, Deb provides advice and counsel on student conduct matters as well as risk management issues arising in the student affairs context.
- Kaity Heide, Legal Assistant. Kaity provides paralegal and administrative support to the Office of Legal Counsel.
- Kim Weldy, Administrative Assistant, Board of Trustees and Legal Counsel. Kim provides administrative support to both the corporate secretary in the Office of Trustees and to the Office of Legal Counsel.
For additional information, including contact information for our office, please visit our new website at http://www.purdue.edu/legalcounsel.