To: Executive Vice Presidents, Chancellors, Vice Presidents, Vice Chancellors, Vice Provosts, Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions,
Departments and Offices
From: Luis E. Lewin, Vice President for Human Resources
Date: October 9, 2014
Re: Bravo Award Program
I am pleased to announce that the 2013-14 Bravo Award program was a success. Seven hundred sixty-nine awards were processed, at a value of $389,275, rewarding the outstanding work of our faculty and staff. While the first year of the pilot was successful, you will note there are opportunities for improvement. We plan to extend the pilot for a second year to allow for further evaluation.
Bravo 2014-15 Plan Year
The changes being implemented pertain to program administration and reinforcing the objective to reward significant results-oriented achievements. The majority of feedback received suggested amending the program for easier administration. Based on this feedback, we are making the following changes for the 2014-15 program year:
- Creating three levels of awards for Bravo: $500, $750 and $1,000 (consistent with the message that Bravo Awards are not intended to provide additional pay for performing normal duties, or to be a substitute or supplement for a merit adjustment, promotion or equity salary increase);
- Targeting 7.5% of the eligible population to receive an award;
- Eliminating the allocation of the funding limit by employee category (i.e., clerical/service, administrative/professional, management/professional, faculty);
- Reducing the service requirement from one year to three months of completed service; and
- Continuing with the development/roll-out of an automated nomination/approval process.
We will forward new program summary documents for review/signature through DFAs as we work with them to calculate funding limits for the 2014-15 year for the units with a program summary on file in Compensation. If you did not participate in Bravo during the 2013-14 pilot year and would like to do so for the 2014-15 program year, please contact email@example.com for assistance. A similar analysis will be completed after the 2014-15 plan year; however, we will continue to work on exploring additional enhancements throughout the remainder of this fiscal year. Comments or concerns about Bravo may be directed to Darrel Castricone at (765) 494-7389 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or me.
Thank you all for your continued support of this important initiative!