Recreational Fires or Bonfires
Recreational Fire or Bonfire: The following guidelines shall be followed when a group or organization plans to have a recreational fire or bonfire on the Purdue West Lafayette Campus.
A. Recreational Fire: Is a fire completely enclosed in a commercially manufactured outdoor fire pit appliance.
B. Bonfire: Is a fire that is not enclosed in a commercially manufactured outdoor fire pit appliance. A bonfire is limited to special events such as pep rallies or homecoming.
A. Recreational Fire Requirements:
1. The Fire Protection & Special Services Department shall be notified at least 48 hours in advance between the hours of 7:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
2. A student events & activities form shall be processed for the recreational fire.
3. The fuel for the fire should be clean and untreated wood. The fire shall not be ignited with flammable liquids.
4. A commercially manufactured outdoor fire pit appliance shall be used.
5. The fire pit appliance should have a screen which controls the emission of ash and embers.
6. The fire pit appliance should be at least 10 feet from combustible materials.
7. The fire shall be constantly attended. The fire shall be extinguished when it is not attended. The fire should be extinguished with a garden hose or bucket of water. Smoldering embers shall not be disposed of in a dumpster.
8. The fire shall not constitute a nuisance.(excessive smoke, odors)
9. All instructions from the manufacturer of the fire pit appliance shall be followed.
10. No open burning shall occur if, in the discretion of a University Official said burning represents a danger to the public health, safety, or welfare.
B. Bonfire Requirements
1. The Fire Protection & Special Services Department shall be notified at least 48 hours in advance. (494-1424)
2. A student events & activities form should be processed for the bonfire.
3. A bonfire should not be allowed to continue past 12 midnight unless special arrangements have been made.
4. The location for any open burning shall not be less than 50 feet from any structure.
5. Suitable provisions need to be made that will prevent a fire from spreading to within 50 feet of any structure.
6. Bonfires may not be utilized to dispose of waste material.
7. All bonfires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.
8. A bonfire shall not be more than 5 feet by 5 feet by 5 feet in dimension and shall not burn longer than three hours.
9. Fuel for the bonfire shall consist only of dry firewood. The fire shall not be ignited with flammable liquids.
10. The Officer-In-Charge at the Purdue University Fire Department shall be notified on the day of the bonfire by the coordinator for the event.
11. The Fire Department shall be requested to put the fire out when the ceremony is over.