Who do we do work with?
VACCINE, a Department of Homeland Security-sponsored entity, designs tools for the seven DHS components, which include Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Customs & Border Protection, U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement, U.S. Secret Service, and Transportation Security Administration. We also have a close relationship with many public safety and law enforcement personnel, as well as external corporate partners.
What kind of research do we do?
Our research enables users to be more effective through innovative interactive visualization, analysis, and decision-making tools by:
- Providing the right information, in the right format, within the right time to solve the problem
- Turning data deluge into a pool of relevant, actionable knowledge
- Enabling users to be more effective from planning, to detection, to response, and to recovery
A wide range of users--from national defense and public safety personnel to commercial logistics, quality control and beyond--can all perform better, faster, and more cost-efficiently if they are able to quickly and easily process the vast amounts of data information relative to their lines of work. On-the-go technology such as mobile phone applications and in-field applications allows users to access a breadth of information at the touch of a finger, giving them the ability to make the best decision in the shortest amount of time.
What areas of research does this involve?
The tools and technology we have developed fall into five major areas. Explore the links below to find out more information about each area of research we conduct and a look into the individual projects we have worked on.
- Investigative Analysis and Anomaly Detection
- Trend Identification and Predictive Analytics
- Spatiotemporal Exploration and Visual Analytics
- Risk-Based Decision Making and Resource Allocation
- Image/Video Analytics and Recognition
How is our research process unique?
As a critical component to our research, VACCINE emphasizes the involvement of the end user from the beginning of the design process. It is important to understand what question or problem the operator is trying to solve when designing a system to assist in that process. Our end user is included every step of the way--from the initial concept to the final finished product--to ensure that our work best caters to each organization’s individual needs.