See-What-I-Do: Increasing Mentor and Trainee Sense of Co-Presence in Trauma Surgeries with the STAR Platform
Optimal trauma treatment integrates different surgical skills not all available in military field hospitals. Telementoring can provide missing expertise, but current systems: require the trainee to frequently focus on a nearby telestrator; fail to illustrate next surgical steps; and give the mentor an incomplete picture of the ongoing surgery.
Development of the System for Telementoring with Augmented Reality (STAR) will address these shortcomings.
- Develop and assess a transparent-display Augmented Reality system that enhances trainee’s natural view of the surgical field by illustrating current and next surgical steps;
- Develop and assess a patient-size interaction platform where the mentor uses gestures to mark, annotate, and zoom in on anatomic regions over a projected image;
- Validate and refine STAR with corpsmen in cricothyroidotomy procedures on a human-patient simulator; and
- Validate the refined STAR with surgery residents in hemorrhage-control procedures within a damage-control laparotomy on live porcine models in a simulated austere environment.
Methodologies used for each of the corresponding objectives above are given below:
- 3-D scene acquisition, camera calibration, color-to-depth registration, head tracking, 3-D rendering, parameterized simulation, and visualization of simulation data.
- Hidden Markov Models, Kinect-based tracking library, and Wizard of Oz prototyping.
- Trauma Man Cric simulator and direct corpsmen and/or paramedics to perform a surgical cric using direct observation and video review to evaluate with the Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) competency checklist.
- Hemorrhage-source identification and control through direct observation and video review evaluated by Trauma Surgical Faculty of a Level 1 Trauma Center.
STAR will increase access to subspecialty surgical expertise, help refresh skills of surgeons returning from temporary deployment, and decrease complications rates for recent medical school graduates in deployment.
- Supporting Communities of Practice to Improve Healthcare Delivery
- Smart Infusion Pump Alert Threshold Decision Support
- System Impact Measures
- Drug Limit Library Database and Research
- Drug Limit Library Update Process
- Nursing Attitudes and Perceived Causes of IV Pump Workarounds
- Rating Healthcare
- Optimizing Ambulance Positioning to Reduce Response Time
- Clinical Analytics to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Population Health Management Modeling to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Transitions in Care Pilot: Evaluate the Impact of Electronic Communications
- Wellness Coaching Impact on Employee Health Outcomes
- Bundled Payments
- Improving Primary Care Delivery through Allocation of Resources
- Patient Sexual Orientation Disclosure to Medical Providers
- Communities and Universities Addressing Health Disparities (CUAHD)
- Gestonurse: A Robotic Surgical Nurse for Handling Surgical Instruments in the Operating Room
- See-What-I-Do: Increasing Mentor and Trainee Sense of Co-Presence in Trauma Surgeries with the STAR Platform
- Hospital Readmissions
- All-Cause Unplanned and Preventable Readmissions Reduction
- Readmissions: Hospital 30-Day Non-Index Readmission Risk Measure and Analysis