Readmissions: Hospital 30-Day Non-Index Readmission Risk Measure and Analysis
Hospital 30-day readmission is widely recognized as a marker of care quality as well as a significant factor in rising healthcare costs. How to reduce hospital 30-day readmission has gained increasing interests nationwide for the purpose of both reducing costs and improving quality.
The hospital readmission defined by CMS includes readmission to the same hospital as well as the readmission to a different hospital. For patients who are readmitted to a hospital other than the ones that their previous hospitalizations, it is likely that they will receive care from a different group of providers. Issues such as poor communication between hospitals and lack of sharing patient medical records have become barriers to continuity of care, which has led to patients not getting the needed care, receiving duplicate care, or suffering from medical errors.
To investigate the association between two types of patient groups classified by readmission types and their related hospital utilizations as well as identify potential factors that may help to predict high hospital utilization patients.
Several hospital utilization indicators are compared between two types of patient groups classified by the type of readmission that they experienced. In addition, several patient characteristics are examined to identify high hospital utilization patients using logistic regression. A Poisson regression model is used to exam the association between patient group types and hospital readmission rate controlled by patient characteristics.
By providing an analysis of patient characteristics of those who tend to return to index versus non-index hospitals, this can provide hospitals with a place to start to both identify patients who might return and begin to develop strategies to promote better health outcomes.
- Supporting Communities of Practice to Improve Healthcare Delivery
- Smart Infusion Pump Alert Threshold Decision Support
- System Impact Measures
- Drug Limit Library Database and Research
- Drug Limit Library Update Process
- Nursing Attitudes and Perceived Causes of IV Pump Workarounds
- Rating Healthcare
- Optimizing Ambulance Positioning to Reduce Response Time
- Clinical Analytics to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Population Health Management Modeling to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Transitions in Care Pilot: Evaluate the Impact of Electronic Communications
- Wellness Coaching Impact on Employee Health Outcomes
- Bundled Payments
- Improving Primary Care Delivery through Allocation of Resources
- Patient Sexual Orientation Disclosure to Medical Providers
- Communities and Universities Addressing Health Disparities (CUAHD)
- Gestonurse: A Robotic Surgical Nurse for Handling Surgical Instruments in the Operating Room
- See-What-I-Do: Increasing Mentor and Trainee Sense of Co-Presence in Trauma Surgeries with the STAR Platform
- Hospital Readmissions
- All-Cause Unplanned and Preventable Readmissions Reduction
- Readmissions: Hospital 30-Day Non-Index Readmission Risk Measure and Analysis