Patient Sexual Orientation Disclosure to Medical Providers
Research reports that members of the LGBTQ population can be hesitant to disclosure their sexual orientation or behaviors. Reasons for disclosure avoidance include the potentially faulty perception that the information is not relevant to their health care, fear of negative provider reaction, fear of discrimination, and being unsure of how to share that information. Additionally, current theories of disclosure focus on disclosure of stigmatized information and nonvisible health information; additionally these theories define the disclosure recipient as a relationally close other (rather than a medical provider). We seek to determine if and how current theories are relevant to the disclosure of sexual orientation.
This is the first stage of a larger, ongoing project with Indiana Minority Health Coalition (IMHC). The research objectives for this stage are:
- To examine young adults’ experiences with disclosure of sexual behavior/orientation to healthcare providers; and
- To examine to the congruence of disclosure of sexual behavior/orientation to healthcare providers with existing theories of disclosure.
The researchers will conduct interviews with approximately 20 members of the Indiana LGBTQ community.
This project will contribute to a larger research project with IMHC. The larger project will help draw attention to the needs of the LGBTQ community as a minority health group.
- Supporting Communities of Practice to Improve Healthcare Delivery
- Smart Infusion Pump Alert Threshold Decision Support
- System Impact Measures
- Drug Limit Library Database and Research
- Drug Limit Library Update Process
- Nursing Attitudes and Perceived Causes of IV Pump Workarounds
- Rating Healthcare
- Optimizing Ambulance Positioning to Reduce Response Time
- Clinical Analytics to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Population Health Management Modeling to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Transitions in Care Pilot: Evaluate the Impact of Electronic Communications
- Wellness Coaching Impact on Employee Health Outcomes
- Bundled Payments
- Improving Primary Care Delivery through Allocation of Resources
- Patient Sexual Orientation Disclosure to Medical Providers
- Communities and Universities Addressing Health Disparities (CUAHD)
- Gestonurse: A Robotic Surgical Nurse for Handling Surgical Instruments in the Operating Room
- See-What-I-Do: Increasing Mentor and Trainee Sense of Co-Presence in Trauma Surgeries with the STAR Platform
- Hospital Readmissions
- All-Cause Unplanned and Preventable Readmissions Reduction
- Readmissions: Hospital 30-Day Non-Index Readmission Risk Measure and Analysis