Nursing Attitudes and Perceived Causes of IV Pump Workarounds
While workarounds are a common part of any work environment, they can signal larger process issues that need to be addressed. In the case of IV pumps, nurses are on the front lines of using the pumps but are rarely involved in the process of developing or installing the pumps. Smart IV pumps should provide additional patient safety benefits; however, if nurses are having difficulties and need to use workarounds, these benefits may not be being realized.
- Establish a list of potential causes of workarounds.
- Examine potential methods of perpetuating workarounds through the workplace.
An anonymous online survey was conducted. Sample size is approximately 800 nurses across all three institutions. The survey used a variety of question formats, including open-ended, dichotomous, and Likert scale.
If workaround causes can be identified, changes may be able to be made to avoid the need for disruptive workarounds, potentially increasing the likelihood that nurses would use the pumps and their safety features more.
- Supporting Communities of Practice to Improve Healthcare Delivery
- Smart Infusion Pump Alert Threshold Decision Support
- System Impact Measures
- Drug Limit Library Database and Research
- Drug Limit Library Update Process
- Nursing Attitudes and Perceived Causes of IV Pump Workarounds
- Rating Healthcare
- Optimizing Ambulance Positioning to Reduce Response Time
- Clinical Analytics to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Population Health Management Modeling to Support Accountable Care Delivery
- Transitions in Care Pilot: Evaluate the Impact of Electronic Communications
- Wellness Coaching Impact on Employee Health Outcomes
- Bundled Payments
- Improving Primary Care Delivery through Allocation of Resources
- Patient Sexual Orientation Disclosure to Medical Providers
- Communities and Universities Addressing Health Disparities (CUAHD)
- Gestonurse: A Robotic Surgical Nurse for Handling Surgical Instruments in the Operating Room
- See-What-I-Do: Increasing Mentor and Trainee Sense of Co-Presence in Trauma Surgeries with the STAR Platform
- Hospital Readmissions
- All-Cause Unplanned and Preventable Readmissions Reduction
- Readmissions: Hospital 30-Day Non-Index Readmission Risk Measure and Analysis