Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Phone: +1 765 49-45733
PhD/UC Berkeley/1999, MSME/Purdue/1993, B. Tech/IIT Delhi/ 1991
Nonlinear and stochastic dynamics of micro and nano-oscillators, nanotube/nanowire vibrations, development of new imaging and force spectroscopy modes in dynamic Atomic Force Microscopy, dynamic AFM in liquids, nanobiomechanics, physics of adhesion and stiction at the micro and nanoscale, chem/bio sensing using micro and nanocantilevers, mechanics and reliability of RF MEMS, gas damping in MEMS/NEMS, reduced order modeling of MEMS/NEMS
Research Impact Statement:
The group is broadly interested in forces and motion at micro and nanoscale from a theoretical and experimental perspective. For example in one effort we are working on exploiting nonlinear cantilever dynamics in liquids to improve resolution and compositional contrast of Atomic Force Microscopes for soft biological samples for example for fast mapping of local elasticity of living cells or viruses; in another effort we are using experiments and theory to understand the stiction and friction between carbon nanotubes and graphene and polymer for next generation nanocomposites; in yet another effort we are looking at gas damping of radio-frequency MEMS which is closely connected to the reliability of such devices.
- National Science Foundation, GOALI: Nonlinear, multi-modal, and stochastic dynamics of low-stiffness microcantilevers in liquid environment Atomic Force Microscopy, 2009-2012.
- National Institutes of Health, STTR, Ultrasoft atomic force microscope technology using nano-cantilevers for high-resolution imaging of biological molecules, 2009-2010, (PI's Raman and Reifenberger).
- National Nuclear Safety Administration: PRISM –Center for predictive reliability, integrability, and survivability of microsystems, 2008-2012, (Director Prof J. Murthy, co-PI's include a group of faculty).
- National Science Foundation, Parametric amplification and resonance in nanotube and nanowire resonators, 2008-2011 (Rhoads, Raman, Mohammadi)
- Phantom Works (Boeing): Boeing-Purdue project: atoms to aircraft program, 2009-2012, (Strachan, Pipes, Carruthers, Koslowski, Raman).
- National Science Foundation: NIRT- Cyber enabled predictive models for polymer nanocomposites:multi-resolution simulations and experiments, 2009-2012, (Strachan, Pipes, Koslowski, Raman).
- NSF, NIRT/GOALI: Development of a Multiscale Hierarchical Nanomanufacturing Tool, 2007-2011 (Xianfan Xu, Raman).
- National Science Foundation, Nonlinear dynamics of microcantilevers interacting with nanostructures – new paradigms for ultrasensitive atomic force microscopy, 2007-2010, (PI).