Discovery Park Faculty Research Fellows and Scholars Initiative
The Discovery Park (DP) Faculty Research Fellows and Scholars Initiative seeks to engage the campus in the core missions of the DP centers. A major goal of the program is to establish collaborative networks between Discovery Park and the academic units to create new opportunities to enable faculty to significantly advance Purdue research and technology through innovative ideas and novel approaches. The program focuses on faculty (tenure-track/tenured and clinical) at all academic ranks who wish to create new collaborations, which they envision will benefit from the interactive environment, facilities and personnel available in Discovery Park. Fellows or Scholars shared between centers will be encouraged. Two faculty sharing a Fellow position will be considered. The program is viewed as a benefit to both Discovery Park and the academic units. Fellows and Scholars will be chosen on a competitive basis following nomination by both their department/unit head/chair with approval of the college dean and the appropriate Discovery Park Center Director(s). The appointment period will begin January 1, 2013.
Although each DP Center may have center-specific guidelines for Research Fellows and Scholars, the following will apply to all Discovery Park Faculty Research Fellows and Scholars:
- Faculty (tenure-track/tenured, clinical) in academic units at all academic ranks on the West Lafayette campus are eligible to apply.
- The designation of DP Faculty Research Fellow should be considered a significant accomplishment.
- Appointment is for either six months or one year, with an option for individual DP Centers to support an extended appointment.
- Academic units will be provided $25,000 per fellow from Discovery Park to allow partial release time from unit responsibilities. Additional funds, up to $10,000, may be provided to achieve center-specific goals.
- Space in DP for DP Faculty Research Fellows will be assigned commensurate with the needs of the project. It is appreciated that some projects may not require physical space in DP.
- Faculty Research Fellows will be expected to devote significant effort to projects they will undertake in Discovery Park during their DP fellow appointment.
- Faculty Research Fellow projects will be expected to: 1) significantly advance the development, expansion and application of new science and/or engineering technologies, or innovative learning strategies and through DP provide campus-wide access to these advancements; and 2) develop campus-wide networks to support large-scale projects utilizing the resources of DP.
The Faculty Scholars Initiative is an extension of the Faculty Fellows Program with the same eligibility requirements, guidelines and goals.The program will run for two years with $25,000/year provided to departments and with potentially up to $10,000/year additional funding available to achieve center-specific goals.
All eight core DP centers except the Bindley Bioscience Center and the Birck Nanotechnology Center are eligible to submit nominees for the 2012-2013 DP-wide Research Fellows and Scholars Program. The Bindley Bioscience Center and the Birck Nanotechnology Center administer separate programs.
Download a complete nomination packet template, which includes the following:
- An application cover page
- Nomination letter (from Department Head/Chair)
- Nomination letter (from appropriate Center Director(s))
- Statement of interest and research/project plan (from the nominated applicant)
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) or NSF/NIH Biosketch
Nominations initially will be reviewed for "fit" and "impact" by a campus-wide committee composed of the Associate Deans for Research of each college and selected faculty familiar with Discovery Park. The committee will be chaired by an Associate Vice President for Research. A list of the top candidates will be submitted to a committee composed of Discovery Park Directors. Finalists will be invited to give a short presentation to the Discovery Park Directors review committee and the committee will recommend final appointments to the Executive Director of Discovery Park.
About Discovery Park
Discovery Park and its major centers lead Purdue's large-scale interdisciplinary research efforts.
- Schedule Tour / Research Meeting
- Discovery Park Impact
- Add DP to your presentation
- Travel Information
- 22SepDetailsAgronomy Seminar Monday -Sylvie Brouder
September 22 @ 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM Lilly Hall, room 2-425
- 25SepDetailsRELIGION, SCIENCE AND NATURALISM: WHERE THE CONFLICT REALLY LIES
September 25 @ 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM Fowler Hall, Stewart Center
- 25SepDetailsCollaboration, Innovation, Opportunity
September 25 @ 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM Loeb Playhouse, Purdue University
610 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- Phone: 765.496.6625
- Fax: 765.494.7474