Idea-2-Product - Feasibility Plan Guidelines
Feasibility Plan Guidelines
Initial submission due February 11
Final Plan due February 20 [should changes be necessary to your initial submission]
Feasibility plans for the Environmental I2P competition should be 3-5 pages in length with at least 1 in. margins and 12 pt. font. Include a cover page with a title or product name along with names and contact information for all team members and faculty mentors. Plans should address each of the following items or questions (avail yourself of the resources listed here):
- Product Overview/Idea
- What environmental issue does the product address?
- How will you minimize or eliminate any "unintended environmental consequences" of implementing your idea (not solving one problem, while creating more in its place).
- Is the product or idea unique? Innovative? (please include a short synopsis of your patent search and how your idea/product is different from other protected ideas and products)
- What is the underlying technology?
- What is the current state of the technology?
- How do you anticipate developing intellectual property protection for your technology (traditional IP, creative commons, open source, etc.)?
- What is the market size for the product?
- What is your market/who is your initial customer group?
- Is there a clear window of opportunity for the product?
- What is the competitive advantage of the product?
- Identify your local, national, or internation non-profit Project Partner*
- Identify the benefits your product or service provides that is in keeping with the social/environmental mission of the Project Partner*
*last two points are not required for the local Purdue competition, but will be required of the winning team at the National competition.
Please submit your feasibility plan as a .pdf file to email@example.com no later than 10:00 PM on Feb 11, 2009. [If revisions are necessary, an opportunity to submit a final plan will be due by February 20.]
Examples of feasibility plans from the 2008 Environmental I2P competition:
Top Team Feasibility Plan
2nd Place Team Feasibility Plan
3rd Plane Team Feasibility Plan
Please note that teams in 2009 will be expected to place greater emphasis on environmental impact!