Bioscience Imaging Facility
Use the Facilities
Welcome to the Multi-Scale Imaging Center (MUSIC). We are located in Hansen B032 and service all interested users, including clients not associated with Purdue University. We constantly strive to provide the highest quality of service and state-of-the-art imaging capabilities - please contact us to suggest ways that the MUSIC can better suit your imaging needs.
A brief summary of Center's policies and fees are listed below. Please proceed to the MUSIC website for more comprehensive information.
Once you have decided to use the MUSIC, please complete the following steps:
- Review the Policies and Fees section of the website (below).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an initial training session.
- Fill out the New User Agreement, as well as the Laser Safety Statement (for LSM microscopy) or Radiation Safety Statement (for SPECT/CT)(as necessary) and bring these completed forms with you to your training session.
After the training session, you can begin to use the facility on your own. Please schedule yourself by following the instructions in the Reservations section below. Note that PACUC-approved protocols must be acquired prior to imaging live animals. (See the Policies and Fees section for more information).(back to top)
- Select the "Bindley Bioscience Center - Imaging Facility" link.
- Log-in when prompted (using your ECN password)
- To view availablity, select an instrument and then click "View Calendar".
- To reserve an instrument, select "Request Reservation" in the left side bar.
- Select the resource and date/time that you desire. Click "Continue".
- Under the "Comments" section, please include any needs that may require special preparation or a specialized hardware configuration.
- Click "Request Reservation".
After clicking "Request Reservation", an email containing your request will be sent to the facility manager for approval. Most requests will be approved within hours, and will then appear on the calendar. In the event of scheduling conflicts that arise during the approval process, requests will be approved in the order in which they were received. At the discretion of the facility manager, experienced users may be granted the ability to reserve equipment directly.Please cancel your reservation as soon as possible, if you will not be able to use it. At least one hour of usage time will be charged for unannounced no-shows. (back to top)
Policies & Fees
Facility Use Guidelines
- Scheduling: Always reserve time on the electronic calendar before you arrive to use an instrument. Reservations are granted in the order in which they are received. Please cancel your reservation as soon as possible, if you will not be able to use it. Equipment must be vacated when your scheduled time has expired, if the next user has arrived. Over-runs propagate throughout the day and inconvenience all other users.
- Billing: Usage is recorded primarily through the honor system. If you use equipment longer (or shorter) than your reserved time, please contact us and we will adjust your time accordingly. (We also have ways of checking your use directly: If you abuse the system you will lose access to the center).
- Help: If you need help, ask! We are always happy to help you. Never reconfigure hardware or tinker with the equipment by yourself. If you cause damage while trying to reconfigure hardware yourself, you will be responsible for repair costs. Immediately report any problems. Unreported problems will also hinder other users and could get worse over time.
- Etiquette: Clean up after yourself. When you leave, all equipment and work areas should be as clean and orderly as you found them. When you are finished, turn off the equipment, if no other users are scheduled within the next hour. If another user is scheduled, the equipment can be left on. (You may want to leave a note stating that you left the equipment on for the next user).
- Data: Only save data in your folder that is within the main Data folder. Data found in any other location will be deleted immediately and without notice. The center is not responsible for lost data. All data generated at the MUSIC are confidential and the property of the investigator. However, the MUSIC reserves the right to publicly display image data in a sanitized form for advertising purposes.
- Acknowledgement: Please acknowledge " the Purdue Multi-Scale Imaging Center " in any publication that includes image data collected at the MUSIC. If MUSIC staff make a significant contribution to experimental design, data acquisition, or data analysis, they can be personally acknowledged as well. Acknowledgement of assistance does not imply that center staff have approved the interpretation or presentation of data as it is presented by the authors. Authorship-level collaborations are welcome and should be discussed in advance: please contact us for more information.
FeesNikon STORM/SIM$ 46.00$ 69.00
|Instruments||Purdue (Hourly)*||External (Hourly)*|
|Nikon Ti-S Wide-field||$ 15.00||$ 23.00|
|Nikon C1+ Confocal||$ 24.00||$ 37.00|
|Nikon A1R Confocal||$ 30.00||$ 46.00|
|Nikon A1R Mutiphoton||$ 49.00||$ 75.00|
|IVIS Lumina II||$ 37.00||$ 57.00|
|MI Labs U-SPECT/CT**||$ 64.00||$ 97.00|
*Small, core specific, CTSI grants are also available to fund pilot experiments.
**For SPECT imaging, one hour of labor will be charged per imaging session to cover the costs of laboratory maintenance and regulatory overhead.
Other costs and benefits:
Free trial period: The BIF offers prospective users (or current users with substantially new projects) a free, one hour imaging session in order to assess how well our equipment can image your sample. Please schedule a time with the facility manager to take advantage of this opportunity.
Training fee: A one-time fee of $100 is charged for training on the Lumina or Nikon wide-field. Training the training fee for any other microscope or the SPECT/CT $200. (Up to two members from the same lab can participate in the same training session at no extra cost). This fee also covers unlimited help and the cost of laboratory expendables.
Animal housing fee: The BIF provides Allentown ventilated racks for housing animals on-site during SPECT/CT and Lumina imaging experiments. This service costs $1/cage/day.
Labor rate: Labor is charged at $64/hr (internal) / $99/hr (external) if facility staff are hired to perform experimental design, data acquisition, or data analysis.
Collaborations: Grant-based collaborations are invited. Please inquire.