Mildred Elizabeth Edmundson Research Grant
Proposal Deadline: November 30, 2012
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Funds Available: $25,000 in first round ($100, 000 over 4 years)
The Purdue Women’s Global Health Institute (WGHI) requests proposals of outstanding scientific merit addressing women’s health issues focusing on wellness, neurodegenerative disorders, bone health, and women’s cancers. All funded project teams are expected to gather preliminary data to submit competitive applications to external funding agency, or to seek support from an outside organization (e.g. companies, foundations, etc.) for continuation of the research. Matching funds are encouraged.
Research team may request up to $15,000.
The PIs must be tenured/tenure-track, research, or clinical faculty at or above the assistant professor rank at Purdue.
- Maximum faculty summer salary is $3000.
- Travel (limited to $2000) and clerical support require justification.
- Indirect costs are not allowed.
- Face Page:
- Proposal title and designated category (wellness, neurodegenerative disorders, bone health, or women’s cancers)
- Name, affiliation, and contact information of communicating PI and participants
- Total budget requested
- Institutional support with signatures from the PIs, Department head, and Dean
2. Abstract: A brief summary of the proposed work, addressing specifically the roles of participants and how this award will facilitate external funding applications (300 words or less)
3. Research Plan (single spaced using 11 point font or larger with 1 inch margins on all sides. Not to exceed three pages.)
- Specific aims of the project
- Background and significance
- Research approach
- Relevance to women’s health
- Milestones, including plans of seeking external funding
4. Biosketches (NIH style)
5. Current and pending support for each participant. Please make clear why pilot funding is needed in addition to funds currently available to the PI.
- Alignment and relevance to the mission of the WGHI (http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/WGHI/about/index.php)
- Innovation and impact
- High potential for external funding
- Integration of interdisciplinary research
- Reasonable probability of achieving research goals
Reporting Requirements for Awardees:
- At the time of award, provide all the WGHI required investigator/study information
- Acknowledge the WGHI funding in all presentations/publications that benefitted from this award.
- Periodically during the award, as required by the WGHI Internal Steering Committee, and at end of award provide a report containing the following information:
- Metrics progress statement
- Statement of obstacles
- Publications, grants submitted and/or funded that based on data generated by this award
- Meet with the WGHI Internal Steering Committee to discuss project progress and research goals.
- For up to 5 years after the termination of the award and as requested by the WGHI provide publications, citation, and information about grants submitted and/or funded that used data generated by this award.
Women’s Global Health Institute
Discovery Park, Purdue University
120E Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship
1201 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057