Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

A-Z Index            


Top 10 Questions for Continuing Students (Summer)

Click questions to expand or collapse their answers. If you wish to print this page, please click here: print.

1. When will my financial aid eligibility be determined for 2014-15?

A. Award notices will be issued in mid-June for students who have met all requirements. To ensure that there are no outstanding requirements that would prevent a financial aid award from being created, check your myPurdue account. There will be red flags under the Financial Tab for 2014-15 if there are any documents our office is requesting. Students will also need to check their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status to ensure they are eligible for financial aid. This is viewable on the Financial Tab of myPurdue. Select Financial Status under the Quick Links.

2. When is my summer bill due?

A. Bills are due the first day of summer classes in May. Students who are enrolled in Module 1, but have not paid their bill or confirmed their enrollment, will be cancelled from classes. Anyone enrolled in Modules 2 and/or 3 will not be subject to cancellation until mid-June if they haven't paid their bill or confirmed their enrollment. See http://www.purdue.edu/bursar/ for more information regarding bills and due dates.

3. When will I get my summer refund?

A. Most students can expect to receive their refund for summer approximately 3-5 business days before their classes start if they have set up direct deposit. Students enrolled in Module 2 or 3 will receive their refund later than students enrolled in Module 1. See common reasons why a refund is delayed at www.purdue.edu/dfa/refunds.php.

4. Why does it still show the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and loan entrance counseling requirements are still outstanding for 2013-14 when I’ve already completed them?

A. Our office will begin downloading promissory notes and entrance counseling files for the first week of July. Although you have already completed the requirements, they will still show as red flags on myPurdue after we begin the file exchange with Direct Lending in July.

5. When is the fall bill issued and due?

A. The fall bill will be issued in mid-July and is due the first day of class for the fall semester. Any student that has set up the Installment Plan will only be responsible for paying the first installment on that date. View more information about Installment Plans at http://www.purdue.edu/bursar/payments/installment.html.

6. How do I get money to pay for my off-campus apartment and books?

A. The Bursar’s Office will issue a refund approximately 5-7 business days prior to the start of the semester if there is financial aid in excess of billed tuition and fees. More information is available at www.purdue.edu/dfa/refunds.php.

7. When do I need to accept the loans offered?

A. If you want the funds to credit the invoice issued in mid-July, accept your student loans, sign any necessary promissory notes, and complete required loan entrance counseling by July 5. Loans may be accepted after that date and will result in a revised invoice if there is a balance due. Parent PLUS Loans or private loans showing in “offered” status on myPurdue require a separate application to be completed. The application for Parent PLUS Loans is available at www.studentloans.gov. An application must be submitted through a bank or loan company to initiate a private loan. Private loans commonly take 4-6 weeks to process.

8. How does my parent apply for the Parent PLUS Loan?

  • Go to www.studentloans.gov
  • Click the green button that says "Sign In"
  • Sign in with the parent information and PIN supplied by the federal government. It is the same PIN your parent used to sign the FAFSA. PINs can be requested at http://pin.ed.gov if you do not have one.
  • Once signed in, click on "Request PLUS Loan" on the left
  • Choose "Parent PLUS"
  • Follow the subsequent steps to complete the application
  • Your parent will also need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov. After signed in following the same steps as above, select "Complete MPN" on the left. Choose "Parent PLUS," and then follow the subsequent steps to complete the promissory note.

9. I have been denied financial aid due to not meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. How do I become eligible for financial aid again?

For your financial aid eligibility to be reconsidered, you must complete the SAP appeal form and submit it to our office for review. View the SAP policy, download the appeal form, and locate resources that are available to help you at https://www.purdue.edu/dfa/policies/sap.php.

10. How do I clear the red flags for the IRSTPE/IRSTSE on myPurdue?

Update the 2014-15 FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) and use the IRS Data Retrieval option for parents and students if requested. Individuals are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool if a) the tax filing status was married filing separately or head of household, b) an amended, Puerto Rican, or foreign tax return was filed, or c) if the tax return has not been filed or has been filed very recently. In the event that the parent or student is ineligible for the IRS Data Retrieval took, provide our office with a copy of the 2013 IRS tax transcript (NOT the account transcript). The IRS tax return transcript is available approximately two weeks after filing electronically and eight weeks after filing a paper tax return. The IRS tax transcript can be ordered, free of charge, at www.irs.gov or 1-800-908-9946. Do not direct the IRS to send the transcript directly to Purdue University.