Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

A-Z Index            


Top 10 Questions for Continuing Students (Fall)

Click questions to expand or collapse their answers. If you wish to print this page, please click here: print.

1. When is the bill due? What happens if I can't cover the bill by that time?

A. The semester bill is always due on the first day of class. The bill either needs to be paid in full, or the first payment of the Installment Plan (minimum of 25% of remaining balance). If the bill is not paid by that time, the student’s classes may be subject to cancellation. If classes are cancelled, the student will have to obtain a Form 23 from their academic advisor, have each of their instructors sign the form, take the the signed form to the Bursar's Office and either pay fees or provide proof that the bill can be paid. (Note: A $200 late registration fee is assessed. If you enroll in the Bursar’s Installment Payment Plan, the late registration fee must be paid separately. If you anticipate financial aid to cover your bill, then the fee will be deducted from your aid. If you have just completed an application for Federal Parent, Graduate PLUS Loan, or a private loan, provide the Bursar proof from the lender that the application is complete and credit approved, showing the enrollment period and the requested amount. Afterward, the Bursar will sign the Form 23.) Finally, take the completed form to the Registrar's Office.

2. When will I get my refund? How do I receive this money?

A. A student’s financial aid cannot be paid to the Bursar’s Office any sooner than ten days before the first day of classes. After the money is transferred to the Bursar, any excess financial aid will then be refunded to the student or parent. Check refunds issued through postal mail are sent once per week, or direct deposit refunds can be issued Monday-Friday to the desired bank account. The default refund option is a mailed check, but students can set direct deposit up on their myPurdue account by clicking the “Manage My Account” link under the Financial tab. On the Parent PLUS Loan application, the applicant selects if the student or parent should receive the refund of excess funds. If the refund was chosen to be sent to the parent, a paper check is sent to the home address; if the refund was chosen to be sent to the student, the refund will be sent by direct deposit if the student has registered for it. Refer to www.purdue.edu/dfa/refunds.php for more information.

3. Why isn't my aid crediting my bill?

A. Financial aid will not credit the student’s bill for a variety of reasons.  Some of the more common ones are that the student’s financial aid award does not match the number of credit hours he/she actually enrolled in, there are still outstanding requirements such as a Promissory Note or Loan Entrance Counseling that have not been completed, or there has been a hold placed on the student’s account, among others.  Please contact a financial aid counselor at facontact@purdue.edu, 765-494-5050, or visit our office in Schleman Hall Room 305 to find out the specific reason for your account.

4. I want to live off campus. Why does my Cost of Attendance say On Campus? How do I get money for rent?

A. The housing included in your Cost of Attendance on myPurdue is populated from the housing question that was answered on the FAFSA. If it does not accurately reflect your housing plans, contact our office so we can make the adjustment in our system. Any accepted financial aid in excess of the university bill will be issued as a refund to the student or parent to use towards other educational expenses, such as off campus housing and utilities. Refunds start being processed about a week before classes begin each semester.

5. Will my financial aid be affected if I drop a class after the semester has started?

A. Any change in your financial aid will be determined based on the time frame when your class has been dropped and how many credit hours you remain enrolled.  Any time your enrollment changes, we will have to reevaluate your financial aid which could result in a bill. For a more detailed explanation and time frame, please visit www.purdue.edu/dfa/policies/add_drop_classes.php. We also recommend that you speak to a financial aid counselor before you decide to drop a class so that they can further detail how your aid may be adjusted.

6. How do I use Work Study if it wasn't offered to me?

A. Work Study is awarded to students who qualify based on FAFSA information and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You may qualify for the Work Study program and should contact our office for further review. If you qualify, you can be placed on a waiting list in the event that funds become available. Many jobs on campus do not require Work Study eligibility. Jobs can be found using our Student Employment Services website. Purdue Rec Sports and Housing & Food Services may also have employment opportunities available.

7. How do I become independent?

A. Dependency status is determined by answers to the 13 dependency questions on the FAFSA. If you cannot answer "yes" to at least one of them, you are considered dependent for financial aid reasons. Dependency status for financial aid is separate from tax filing status or whether your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their taxes. If you have extenuating circumstances that should be considered, contact our office. If a counselor determines you may qualify for an appeal, you will need to provide documentation of your circumstances.

8. I'm not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress. What are my options?

A. You are given a warning semester the first time you fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. If you fail to meet the requirements while on warning status, you will be denied financial aid for the subsequent semester. You can obtain an appeal form from www.purdue.edu/dfa/policies/sap.php, complete a plan of study with your academic advisor, and provide a statement explaining your reason for appealing, along with supporting documentation. Appeals take 2-3 weeks for a decision to be made once all documentation is received.

9. What happens to my aid eligibility while I'm on co-op?

A. You will typically not receive financial aid while you are on co-op, unless you are eligible for the Pell Grant or also taking at least 6 credit hours in addition to the co-op. Your financial aid eligibility will resume when you return to campus for a regular semester. If you receive a Trustee or Presidential scholarship, refer to www.purdue.edu/dfa/co-op.php for more information about what happens while you are on co-op.

10. What is Initial Course Participation (ICP)?

A. Federal regulations require that student financial aid recipients commence attendance/participation in coursework to be eligible for financial aid. The commencement of a class can be shown in many different ways such as:

  • a) Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
  • b) Submitting an academic assignment;
  • c) Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
  • d) Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution;
  • e) Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and
  • f) Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

Students can view the reported ICP on myPurdue by choosing the Initial Course Participation link on the left hand side under the Academic tab. If a student is reported as not commencing attendance and believes it to be an error, he/she will need to contact the instructor for that course. If a student is reported as not commencing attendance in one or more classes, the student’s financial aid may be adjusted and result in a bill for lost aid. Refer towww.purdue.edu/dfa/policies/icp.php for more information.