Child or Spouse of Indiana Resident Public Safety Officer
Type of Aid: Statutory fee remission.
Source of Funds: State of Indiana. Administered by the Division of Student Financial Aid (SFA), formerly known as the State Student Assistance Commission of Indiana (SSACI).
Eligibility Criteria: Full-time undergraduate enrollment. Students who might be covered under the public safety officers' portion of the program are:
- A child of a police officer, firefighter or EMT killed in the line of duty, or the child of an Indiana state police trooper permanently and totally disabled in the line of duty.
- A spouse of a police officer, firefighter or EMT killed in the line of duty, or the spouse of an Indiana state police trooper permanently and totally disabled in the line of duty.
The deceased public safety officer must have been killed in the line of duty while a legal resident of Indiana, a public employee of the state, an Indiana town, city, township, or county, and be one of the following:
- A regular, paid law enforcement officer;
- A regular, paid firefighter;
- A volunteer firefighter (as defined in IC 36-8-12-2);
- A county police reserve officer;
- A city police reserve officer;
- A paramedic (as defined in IC 16-18-2-266);
- An emergency medical technician (as defined in IC 16-18-2-112); or
- An advanced emergency medical technician (as defined in IC 16-18-2-6).
Application Form(s) Required: Form #SF52020 is available online at SFA's website. Eligible applicants must also have a valid year-appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid application (FAFSA) on file with the school and submit all requests for additional information to DFA.
Application Deadline: Two weeks before the end of the semester. Not retroactive to periods before completed application, FAFSA and any requested verification documents are received at DFA.
Amount of Award: As a supplement to other state financial aid, the grant pays general services fees and technology fees for all undergraduates. It does not cover other expenses such as room and board or books or any students.
Period of Eligibility: Child - Up to age 23. Spouse – First Bachelor’s degree.
Questions and Further Information Contact SFA:
W462 Indiana Government Center South
402 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
or visit SFA's website.