Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

A-Z Index            


Complete Withdrawal / Return to Title IV Aid

Title IV (Federal) funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assis­tance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive. If a student has received Title IV financial aid, a refund must be calculated under the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy. The refunds are based on the number of days attended for the semester, divided by the total number of days in the semester (minus any scheduled breaks of at least five days in length). Funds are deposited back to the financial aid accounts in accordance with federal regulations.  If financial aid funds have been earned and not yet received, the student will be contacted by the Office of the Bursar.

Further information about refunds and return of Title IV financial aid funds is located at the Office of the Bursar:  http://www.purdue.edu/business/bursar/payments/refunds.html

University withdrawal procedures is located at the Office of the Dean of Students: https://www.purdue.edu/odos/sac/withdrawal/

Contact your residence hall manager or University Residences Administration for information about refunds of University housing payments.

Unofficial Withdrawal

If a student began attendance and has not officially withdrawn fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn.  A student in this situation may be subject to a Title IV refund.  Division of Financial Aid reviews student records at the end of each semester and notifies the Office of the Bursar of any students who have unofficially withdrawn.