Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

A-Z Index            


Graduate Students

The Purdue University Division of Financial Aid can assist graduate students in obtaining student loan funding to supplement graduate assistance received through individual academic departments. Research assistantships, teaching assistantships, fellowships and scholarship assistance are only offered through the individual academic departments, with more information being available through the Graduate School.

  • • The Department of Education requires all fee remissions and stipends that graduate fellows receive to be included as a resource that offsets the estimated Cost of Attendance.
  • • As a result, graduate students are required to report this type of assistance to the Division of Financial Aid, which can be done online at myPurdue.
    • - Once our office is aware that a graduate student is receiving a graduate assistantship or fellowship, the aid from the anticipated tuition remission and fellowship stipend will appear as a financial aid resource in the aid package and may reduce student loan eligibility.

The Division of Financial Aid determines Federal Stafford Loan or Graduate PLUS Loan eligibility once students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet other awarding criteria.

Beyond Federal student loans, Private/Alternative Loans may be an option for graduate students.

  • • Alternative Loan amounts are limited to the estimated cost of attendance less student resources.
  • • Students must meet the credit requirements set by the lending institution in order to qualify for private student loans and may be required to use a credit worthy co-borrower.

Graduate students may want to research the possibility of applying for a Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Fellowship Program or the Jacob Javits Fellowship Program, which may be offered through academic departments.

  • • To be eligible, students of superior ability must demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA and meet other awarding criteria.

Graduate Students