Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service is the community
connection in every Indiana county to the expertise and resources
of Purdue University and the nationwide Land Grant University
system. Purdue Extension is the gateway to lifelong learning
in many Indiana communities.
for the Extension Service is provided through the Director
of Extension who also serves as Associate Dean of Agriculture.
Over 100 on-campus Extension Specialists have appointments
in departments in the schools of Agriculture, Consumer and
Family Sciences, and Veterinary Medicine. With the exception
of the six regional specialists located at the Southwest Purdue
Agriculture Program (Vincennes) and the Fort Wayne and North
Central campuses, all specialists are located on the West
275 Extension Educators are located in the 92 counties of
Indiana. These professionals provide the linkage between the
citizens of Indiana and the scientists located on the Purdue
Educators listen to what local citizens are saying and provide
feedback to the University for determining research and education
Educators provide programs based on identified local needs.
Extension has been a part of the University since 1889 when
the Indiana General Assembly passed the Farmers' Institute
Act. This Act provided funds for the first Extension work
to be organized by Purdue University. The Extension Service
was recognized nationally in 1914 by the Smith-Lever Act.
Funding for the Extension Service programs is provided by
federal, state, and county governments, and from grants, contracts,
and fees for specialized programs.
and Natural Resources
and Family Sciences
and Youth Development
and Community Development