In order to be eligible to receive a degree at the end of the current academic session, you should have a candidate course (CAND) in your registration. If you are an undergraduate, check with your academic advisor, or the candidate coordinator, in your college/school's academic advising office to determine whether your name is on the candidate list. If you are a graduate student, check with your major professor.
If a candidate does not fulfill their degree requirements due to a failing or incomplete grade, it may be necessary to register for a subsequent semester in order to complete degree requirements. Please contact your advisor for further information.
Returnee Participation Information
Each candidate is expected to attend the commencement ceremony at the end of the semester (or session) in which their degree is awarded. Students may not participate in a given ceremony before they are eligible to graduate. It is not acceptable for students to be added to the candidate list for the sole purpose of participating in a ceremony.
The only allowable exception is for those candidates who would like to participate in a ceremony after their degree has been awarded. In this case, a written request must be submitted to email@example.com by the following deadlines:
- Winter Commencement - the Commencement Department must receive a returnee participation request and have responded with an approval memo no later than September 1st.
- Spring Commencement - the Commencement Department must receive a returnee participation request and have responded with an approval memo no later than December 1st.
- August Commencement - the department must receive the participation request and have responded with an approval no later than June 1st.
In all cases, the Commencement Department will respond to the approved Returnee Request with an emailed memo. If an approval memo has not been issued, the Returnee Request is not complete. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues or questions.
* NOTE: Submission of a request does not constitute approval. Requests are approved at the discretion of the Commencement Department.
Please include the following information in your email request:
- Student Name
- Purdue ID Number
- Term of candidate's graduation
- Identify the ceremony in which you wish to participate
Final Candidate Status
Questions concerning your final status as a candidate should be directed to your college/school advising office.
Grades will be available on myPurdue the Wednesday before graduation for spring graduates and the Wednesday after graduation for summer and winter graduates.