Purdue University recognizes the positive impact that can be made by Service-Learning and encourages faculty to pursue scholarly activities that relate to Service-Learning. These activities should be considered in the review, promotion, and tenure of faculty members.
To become more engaged, learn about the Scholarship of Engagement Conference held on October 28th, 2010 at Discovery Learning Research Center (DLRC).
For more resources regarding this issue, visit the following websites:
- Community-Campus Partnerships for Health Mentor Network (PDF)
- East/West Clearinghouses for the Scholarship of Engagement
- Faculty Development Advanced Toolkit (Campus Compact)
- Research University Engaged Scholarship Toolkit (Campus Compact)
Purposes of the toolkit:
- To add clarity to the meaning and conceptualization of community-engaged scholarship in a research university context;
- To provide a rationale for why to do it and resources on how to do it well;
- To provide tools and assistance for faculty at research universities to document engaged scholarship for reward and promotion (i.e., how to get credit for it); and
- To provide tools and assistance for enabling the assessment of engaged scholarship (i.e., for faculty reward and promotion).
Several opportunities exist to present and publish Service-Learning scholarships in the areas of experiential learning, research in higher education, and community service. There are more than 50 scholarly journals that invite Service-Learning related publications, including:
- Advances in Service-Learning Research Book Series
- Innovative Higher Education
- International Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (IJ-SoTL)*
- International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship*
- Journal on Excellence in College Teaching
- Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement
- Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning This website has journal information, journal issues, and SoTL resources
- Michigan Journal for Community Service-Learning* Publishes papers relevant to the field of community Service-Learning, focusing on higher education and readership of faculty and administrators.
- Reflections: A Journal of Writing, Service-Learning, and Community Literacy
*Note these scholarly publications are at the forefront of service-learning pedagogy and hold the most weight in terms of peer review.
Organizations that sponsor and promote Service-Learning scholarship include: