Score & store test results with ease
Need reliable, accurate, secure test scoring with 24-hour turnaround? If you teach regularly scheduled credit courses on the West Lafayette campus, you can use our free Instructional Data Processing service. You'll find more details and forms to download below.
Test Scoring & Analysis
- Grade objective, multiple-choice tests — everything from short quizzes to lengthy final exams
- Choose from five types of machine-readable answer sheets
- 150 items with five responses each (available in several colors).
- 30 items with five responses each (available in two colors).
- 100 items with 10 responses each (available in brown).
- 50 items with five responses each (available in orange). These sheets also have space for up to 15 hand-graded items to be included in the scoring. The points assigned for the hand-graded items must be written in and gridded in as three-digit whole numbers.
- Six items with five responses each (available in two colors).
- Select from scoring procedures like item weighting, either-or scoring and formula scoring (subtracting a fraction of the items wrong as a correction for guessing)
- Rescale scores into percentages, z-scores and T-scores
- Have a test rescored if you make an error on the key (rescores are given a lower priority during final exam periods)
- Order student performance reports sorted various ways to help assign grades and maintain class records
- Order statistical summaries and reports — like score distribution reports to establish grade cutoffs or item analysis reports to assess student achievement on individual test questions
When you need a test scored, fill out a "Request for Test Scoring Service" worksheet and choose the options that fit your needs. All information and materials are available from the Center for Instructional Excellence in the Stewart Center, Room G-39. That's also where you'll return response forms for scoring and analysis. Have questions or want more information? Email us at CIE@purdue.edu or call 49-45112.
Course Records Management System (CRMS)
Scoring and analyzing tests is just one way we can make your classroom life easier. Our CRMS package simplifies storing, analyzing and reporting test results generated through our test scoring service. Plus, it lets you enter other hand-graded data — like class participation, essays and lab reports — via one of three different "add-in" answer sheets:
- Seven data entry boxes of three digits each (available in brown).
- 30 data entry boxes of three digits each (available in purple).
- 70 data entry boxes of two or three digits each (available in green). Boxes are grouped into Recitation, Laboratory, Quizzes and Tests. These sheets are for instructors who want scores reported with subtotals for up to four separate score categories.
Once data for a class is stored, you can set weights for various grading components, assign grades, drop scores, establish letter grade cutoffs, order student grade reports, compute total score statistics, rescale groups of scores and more.
Signing up is easy. Just indicate on your test scoring worksheet that you want the results stored in our CRMS package. To obtain add-in data sheets or a CRMS report, simply complete a "Request for CRMS" worksheet. And to make changes to any stored information, fill out a "CRMS Revisions" worksheet and return it to us at least two weeks before the final exam period.
You can access all these materials, explore your options and get your questions answered by emailing CIE@purdue.edu, stopping by the Stewart Center, Room G-39, or calling 49-45112.
Page Scanning Services
Our high-speed optical page scanner collects data from machine-readable answer sheets and stores the responses in a data file. We can adapt our stock answer sheets to a variety of data collection tasks or help you develop custom answer sheets. After responses are collected, we can provide basic data analysis and reporting or give you the data for your own use.
If you teach a regularly scheduled credit course on the West Lafayette campus, you can use our scanning services free of charge for test scoring, course records management, and course and instructor evaluation — although we may charge for the cost of sheets if the quantity is substantial. Charges for other uses follow the University-approved rate schedule.
To open, please click on the following document(s):