Responsible Alcohol Retailer Award
On September 10, 2013, West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis and Kate Kerrigan, Director of the Drug-Free Coalition of Tippecanoe County, awarded the Responsible Alcohol Retailer Award to Jim and Sheila Cochran of the Neon Cactus.
The award is based on the outcome of bar area assessments conducted by a team representing campus and community during 2012-2013.
During the assessment, team members looked at the places and spaces in the West Lafayette environment where alcohol is served to determine if additional strategies were needed to create a safer environment for our students. The team focused on lighting, crosswalks, alleys, bar lines, security, ID checking, occupancy, and food options available. They talked with students and patrons, staff, managers, and owners.
The assessment team was impressed with the commitment by several establishments to promote a safer environment but the Neon Cactus stood out as exceptional. They:
- Routinely pay out of pocket for busses to transport students up the hill during breakfast clubs in the fall and during Grand Prix. We know that getting across 43 is a challenge and appreciate that the Neon Cactus is assisting in safe transportation.
- In addition, during the Thursday night of Grand Prix weekend, they actually paid CityBus for an extra late night of service. That night, 495 people took advantage of late-night rides on CityBus, courtesy of the Neon Cactus. Door staff reminded people of the service as they were leaving. City Bus has now added Thursday night as a permanent addition to their late-night service…
- They routinely use clickers to ensure they aren’t overcrowded.
- They focus on safety, and they have a well-established protocol in place to deal with alcohol poisoning.
- They call in the police when needed, and partner with the Indiana State Excise Police on ID checking.
Congratulations to the Neon Cactus!
Click here to see the 2012 award.