College of Engineering
Plan of Study for Civil Engineering
Credit Hours Required for Graduation: 132
Freshman Year, see First-Year Engineering Program
Communications. COM 11400 is a required course in the civil engineering curriculum and should be taken in the freshman year. A general education elective* should be taken in the freshman year.
Science Selective. CHM 11600 is the recommended course and should be taken in the freshman year.
|Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
|(4)||CE 20300 (Principles and Practices of Geomatics)||(3)||CE 23100 (Engineering Materials I)|
|(1)||CE 29201 (Contemporary Issues in CE)||(4)||CE 27000 (Introductory Structural Mechanics)|
|(3)||CE 29700 (Basic Mechanics I: Statics)||(3)||CE 29800 (Basic Mechanics II: Dynamics)|
|(2)||CGT 16400 (Graphics for Civil Engineering and Construction)||(3)||MA 26500 (Linear Algebra)|
|(4)||MA 26100 (Multivariate Calculus)||(3)||General education elective*|
|(3)||PHYS 24100 (Electricity and Optics)|
|Fifth Semester||Sixth Semester|
|(3)||CE 33100 (Engineering Materials II)||(3)||CE 39800 (Introduction to Civil Engineering Systems Design)|
|(3)||CE 34000 (Hydraulics)||(3)||Basic Science Requirement (from selected BIOL and EAS courses)|
|(1)||CE 34300 (Elementary Hydraulics Laboratory)||(3)||STAT 51100 (Statistical Methods)|
|(3)||MA 26600 (Ordinary Differential Equations)||(3)||General education elective*|
|(3)||General education elective*||(6)||Electives†|
|Seventh Semester||Eighth Semester|
|(3)||ME 20000 (Thermodynamics I)||(3)||CE 49800 (Civil Engineering Design Project)|
|(3)||General education elective*||(3)||General education elective*|
* Eighteen credit hours of general education electives are chosen in accordance with the general education requirements of the College of Engineering and the following departmental requirements:
- The program must contain at least 6 credit hours in the humanities.
- The program must contain at least 6 credit hours in social sciences It is strongly recommended that ECON 25100 be included in the program in social sciences.
- All general education courses must be taken for a grade.
† Thirty credit hours of electives are chosen in accordance with the following requirements:
- The elective course program shall be consistent with career objectives. For instance, one can elect to concentrate on a major in a specialized area with an integrated sequence of courses or can choose a general program in civil engineering by taking courses in several areas.
- At least 12 credit hours must be chosen from an approved list of introductory civil engineering courses to provide breadth of study.
- At least 9 credit hours must be chosen from an approved list of design-intensive civil engineering courses.
- At least 21 credit hours must be CE designated courses that must include two integrated sequences with a minimum of 6 credit hours in each.
- The remaining credit hours required must be selected in support of the career objectives of the student. See an advisor for current policies.