Eating Disorder Awareness Week Information
National Eating Disorders Awareness Week is February 23 – February 27, 2015
This year's theme, "Everybody Knows Somebody," recognizes the fact that awareness of eating disorders is spreading and early intervention is critical. Resident Assistants can visit the Student Wellness Office website to obtain various resources, such as a downloadable “Body Image” bulletin board kit and a handout titled “What Should I Say?”.
The Purdue Eating Disorders Treatment Team is coordinating several events during the week:
- Monday, February 23: Superfoods Cooking Demonstration, 7-8pm, Demonstration Kitchen, $10
Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that are considered to be particularly good for your health and well-being. This demonstration will show you how to make quick, easy and delicious recipes using a variety of superfoods. You will also learn about how food is essential health and well-being.
- Tuesday, February 24: Fat Talk Free Workshop, 7-8pm, Boilermaker Room, free
Fat Talk describes any statement that reinforces the thin-ideal standard of beauty and contributes to dissatisfaction with your body. This workshop will educate about the damaging impact of fat talk and pursuing the thin ideal, inspire change in the way we think and feel about our bodies, and promote a healthy lifestyle that encourages a balanced life in mind, body & spirit.
- Wednesday, February 25: Belly Dancing Workshop, 7-8pm, Wellness Conference Room, free
This class is an introduction to the basic art of this empowering dance. Learn basic movements, choreography, and improvisational technique, while exercising and gaining exposure to the Middle Eastern dance culture. Improve your grace, agility, and confidence
- Thursday, February 26: Love Your Body Zumba, 5:30-6:20pm, Feature Gym, free (Group X Pass is not required)
Zumba is a Latin inspired workout that is empowering and fun! Do the Samba, Cumbia, and Cha-Cha and embrace how your body can move.
- Sign-up in advance at the CoRec Member Services desk or call (765) 494-3110.