Jump to other news and events
- Hammer, L., Kossek, E., ,Bodner, T., Crain, T. Measurement development and validation of the family supportive supervision behavior short-form (FSSB-SF). Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. Download
- Berg, P., Kossek, E., Misra, K., Belman, D.. Do unions matter for work-life flexibility policy access and use?. Industrial and Labor Relations Review. Download
- Kossek, E.E., Kaillaith, T., &Kaillaith, P. (2012). Achieving employee wellbeing in a changing work environment: An expert commentary on current scholarship. International Journal of Manpower, vol. 33, 738-753.Download
- Hall, D., Lee, M, Kossek, E. & Las Heras, M (2012). Pursuing career success while sustaining personal and family well being: A study of reduced-load professionals over time. Journal of Social Issues,..Download
- Kossek, E. & Lautsch, B. (2012). Work-family boundary management styles in organizations: A cross-level model. Organizational Psychology Review, vol. 2 (2), 152-171. Download
- Kossek, E., Ruderman, M., Braddy, P., Hannum, K. (2012). Work-nonwork boundary management profiles: A person-centered approach. Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 81, 112-128. Download
- Lautsch, B. & Kossek, E. (2011). Managing a blended workforce: Supervising telecommuters and non-telecommuters. Organizaitonal Dynamics, vol. 40, 10-17. Download
- Kossek, E., Pichler, S., Bodner, T. & Hammer, L. (2011). Workplace social support and work-family conflict: A meta-analysis clarifying the influence of general and work-family specific supervisor and organizational support,. Personnel Psychology, (64), 289-313. Download
- Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Bodner, T., Anger, K. & Zimmerman, K. (2011). Clarifying work-family intervention processes: The roles of work-family conflict and family supportive supervisor behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 96, 134-150. Download
- Lee, M, Kossek, E., Hall, D., Litrico, J. (2011). Entangled strands: A process perspective on the evolution of careers in the context of personal, family, work, and community life. Human Relations, vol. 64, 1531 - 1553. Download
- Kossek, E. E., Baltes, B. B., & Matthews, R. A. (2011). How work-family research can finally have an impact in the workplace. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, (4), 352-369. Download
- Kossek, E. E., Baltes, B. B., & Matthews, R. A. (2011). Innovative ideas on how Work-Family research can have more impact. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, vol. 4, 426-432. Download
- Litrico, J B. Lee M. D. Kossek, E. (2011). Cross-level dynamics between changing organizations and career patterns of reduced-load professionals. Organization Studies, vol. 32, 1678 - 1697. Download
- Kossek, E., Lewis, S. & Hammer, L. (2010). Work-Life initiatives and organizational change: Overcoming mixed messages to move from the margin to the mainstream. Human Relations, vol. 63, 1-17. Download
- Lautsch, B. & Kossek, E. (2009). Supervisory approaches and paradoxes in managing telecommuting implementation. Human Relations, (62), 795 - 827.
- Hammer, L. , Kossek, E., Yragui, N. Bodner, T., Hansen, G. (2009). Development and validation of a multi-dimensional scale of family supportive supervisor behaviors, (FSSB). Journal of Management, (35), 837-856. Download
- Kossek, E. & Hammer, L. (2008). Work/Life training for supervisors gets big results. Harvard Business Review, 36.
- Lirio, P. Lee, M., Williams, M. Haugen, M. & Kossek, E. (2008). The inclusion challenge with reduced-load professionals: The role of the manager. Human Resource Management Journal, (47), 443- 461.
- Friede, A., Kossek, E., Lee, M., & MacDermid , S. (2008). Human resource manager insights on creating and sustaining successful reduced-load work arrangements,. Human Resource Management Journal, (47), 707- 727. Download
- Kossek, E. Pichler, S., Meece, D., Barratt, M. (2008). Family, friend and neighbor child care providers and maternal well-being in low income systems: An ecological social perspectiive. Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology, (89), 369-391. Download
- Kossek, E. & Lee, M. (2008). Implementing a reduced-workload arrangement to retain high talent: A case study. Journal of Managerial Psychology, (11), 49-64.
- Ryan. A. & Kossek, E. (2008). Work-life policy implementation: Breaking down or creating barriers to inclusiveness. Human Resource Management Journal, (47), 295-310.
- Van Dyne, L, Kossek, E. &Lobel, S. (2007). Less need to be there: Cross level effects of work practices that support work-life flexibility and enhance group processes and group-level OCB. Human Relations, vol. 60, 1123- 1153. Download
- Kossek, E., Lautsch, B. & Eaton, S. (2006). Telecommuting, control, and boundary management: correlates of policy use and practice, job control, and work-family effectiveness. Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 68, 347-367. Download
- Kossek, E., Huber, M. & Lerner, J,. (2003). Sustaining economic and psychological well-being of mothers on public assistance: individual deficit and social structural accounts. Journal of Vocational Behavior, (62), 155-175. Download
- Kossek, E., Markel , K. & McHugh, P. (2003). Increasing diversity as a HR change strategy. Journal of Organizational Change Management, vol. 16, 328-352.
- Palthe, J. & Kossek, E, (2003). The role of organizational subcultures and employment modes in the translation of HR strategy into HR practice. Journal of Organizational Change Management, vol. 16, 287-308. Download
- Kossek, E., Noe, R., & Colquitt, J. (2001). Caregiving Decisions, well-being and performance: The effects of place and provider as a function of dependent type and work-family climates. Academy of Management Journal, vol. 44, 29-44. Download
- Kossek, E. E., Ozeki, Cynthia, Kosier Wasson, D. (2001). Wellness incentives: Lessons learned about organizational change. Human Resource Planning Journal, vol. 24, 24-36.
- Kossek, E. E., Noe, E. & DeMarr, B. (1999). Work-family role synthesis: individual, family and organizational determinants. International Journal of Conflict Resolution, (10), 102-129. Download
- Kossek, E. E., Barber, A., & Winters, D, (1999). Using flexible schedules in the managerial world: The power of peers. Human Resource Management Journal, vol. 38, 36-46.
- Kossek, E. E. & Ozeki, C. (1999). Bridging the work-family policy and productivity gap. International Journal of Community Work and Family, vol. 1, 7-32.
- Huber, M. & Kossek, E. (1999). Community distress and welfare exits: The under-examined factor for families in the United States. International Journal of Community Work and Family, vol. 2, 205-218.
- Kossek, E. E., Roberts, K., Fisher, S., & DeMarr, B. (1998). Career self-management: A quasi-experimental assessment of a training intervention. Personnel Psychology, vol. 51, 935-962.
- Roberts, K., Kossek, E. & Ozeki, C. (1998). Managing a global workforce: Challenges, strategies & solutions. Academy of Management Executive, vol. 12, 93-106.
- Kossek, E. E. & Ozeki, C. (1998). Work-family conflict, policies, and the job-life satisfaction relationship: A review and directions for organizational behavior/human resources research. Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 83, 139-149. Download
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, J., Kossek, E. E., Sandling, H. (1997). Managing multiple concurrent change initiatives: Integrating quality and work/family strategies. Organizational Dynamics, vol. 25, 21-36.
- Kossek, E. E., Huber-Yoder, M., Castellino, D. Lerner, J. (1997). The working poor: Locked out of careers and the organizational mainstream?. Academy of Management Executive, 76-92.
- Klein, E., Astrachan, J., Kossek, E. E. (1996). Leadership education: The impact of managerial level and gender on learning. Journal of Managerial Psychology, vol. 11, 31-40.
- Kossek, E. E., Dass, P. & DeMarr, B. (1994). The dominant logic of employer-sponsored childcare: human resource managers' institutional role. Human Relations, vol. 47, 1121-1149.
- Kossek, E., Young, W., & Gash, D. (1994). Waiting for innovation in the human resources department: Godot implements a human resource information system. Human Resource Management Journal, vol. 33 (1), 135-159.
- Kossek, E. & Zonia, S. (1994). The effects of race and ethnicity on perceptions of human resource policies and climate regarding diversity. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, vol. 8, 319-334.
- Kossek, E. & Zonia, S. (1993). Assessing diversity climate: A field study of reactions to employer efforts to promote diversity. Journal of Organizational Behavior, vol. 14, 61-81. Download
- Kossek, E. E., DeMarr, B., Ross K., and Kollar, M. (1993). Assessing employee's elder care needs and reactions to dependent care benefits. Public Personnel Management Journal, vol. 24, 617-638.
- Kossek, E., & Block, R. (1993). The employer as social arbiter: Considerations in limiting involvement with off-the-job behavior. Journal of Employee Rights and Responsibilities, vol. 6, 139-156.
- Kossek, E. & Nichol, V. (1992). The effects of employer-sponsored child care on employee attitudes and performance. Personnel Psychology, vol. 45, 485-509.
- Klein, E., Astrachan, J., Kossek, E. E. (1992). Affective reactions of managers to leadership education: An exploration of the same gender effect. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, vol. 28, 102-117.
- Kossek, E. E. (1990). Diversity in child care assistance needs: Problems, preferences, and work-related outcomes. Personnel Psychology, vol. 43, 769-791.
- Kossek, E. E. & Grace, P. (1990). Taking a strategic view of employee day care assistance: A cost- benefit model. Human Resource Management Planning Journal, vol. 13, 189-202.
- Kossek, E. E. (1990). Why many HR programs fail. Personnel, 50-53.
- Klein, E., Stone, W., Correa, M., Astrachan, J., Kossek, E. E. (1989). Dimensions of experiential learning at group relation's conferences. Social Psychiatry, vol. 24, 241-248.
- Kossek, E. E. (1989). The acceptance of human resources innovation by multiple constituencies. Personnel Psychology, vol. 42, 263-281.
- Kossek, E. E. (1987). Human resource management innovation. Human Resource Management Journal, vol. 26, 71-92.
- Lee, M. Kossek, E. & Baitaille, C. (2007). Making flexibility work: The manager's perspective on implementation of reduced-load work arrangements,. Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Gattrell, C., C. Cooper, C. & E. Kossek (2010). Women and Management. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kossek, E. & Lautsch, B. (2008). CEO of Me: Creating a Life That Works in the Flexible Job Age. Pearson/ Wharton School Publishing.
- Kossek, E. & Block, R. (2005). Managing Human Resources in the 21st Century: From Core Concepts to Strategic Choice. Southwestern Publishing.
- Kossek, E. & Lambert, S. (2005). he Handbook of Work-Family: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives, Methods, and Approaches. LEA Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Kossek, E. E. (1989). The Acceptance of Human Resource Innovation: Lessons for Managers. Quorum Press.
- Pitt-Catsouphes, M., Kossek, E. E., Sweet, S., (2007). The Handbook of Work-Family: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives, Methods, and Approache. New York, NY: LEA Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Kossek, E. & Lobel, S. (2006). Managing Diversity: Human Resource Strategies for Transforming the Workplace. Oxford, U.K.: Blackwell.
- Kossek, E.E. (1991). Child Care Challenges for Employers. Fort Washington, PA: LRP Press.
- Kossek, E, &Ollier-Malaterre, A. (2013). Work-family policies: Linking national contexts, organizational practice and people for multi-level change. In S. Poelmans, J. Greenhaus, & M. Las Heras, Editors. (Ed.), In New Frontiers in Work-family Research: A Vision for the Future in a Global World. Basingstoke, U.K.: Palgrave Macmillan. Download
- Kossek, E. E., Valcour, M., Lirio, P. (2013). The sustainable workforce: Organizational strategies for promoting work-life balance and well-being. In In C. Cooper, C. &P. ,Chen, Editors, (Ed.), Wellbeing in the Workplace: From Stress to Happinesss. Oxford, UK & NY: Wiley-Blackwell. Download
- King RB, Karuntzos GT, Casper LM, Moen P, Davis KD, Berkman L, Durham M & Kossek EE. (2012). Work-Family Balance Issues and Work-Leave Policies. In Gatchel RJ & Schultz IZ, Editors (Ed.), Handbook of Occupational Health and Wellness (323-329). New York, NY: Springer.
- Kossek, E. & Ruderman, M. (2012). Work-family flexibility and the employment relationship. In L. M. Shore, J. Coyle-Shapiro, & L. Tetrick,, Editors (Ed.), Understanding the Employee-Organization Relationship: Advances in Theory and Practice (223-253). New York, NY: Taylor and Francis. Download
- Leana, C. & Kossek, E. (2012). Positive Organizational Change by and for the Working Poorr. In Golden-Biddle, K. & Dutton, J. (Ed.), Using a Positive Lens to Explore Social Change and Organizations: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kossek, E. & Michel, J. (2011). Flexible work scheduling. In S. Zedeck, Editor (Ed.), Handbook of Industrial-Organizational Psychology. (535-572). Wash., D.C.: American Psychological Association. Download
- Kossek, E., Lautsch, B. & Eaton, S. (2009). Good teleworking�: Under what conditions does teleworking enhance employees' well-being?. In YairAmichai-Hamburger, (Editor) (Ed.), Technology and Psychological Well-being (148-173). Camrbridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press.
- Kossek, E. & Distelberg, B. (2009). Work and family employment policy for a transformed work force: trends and themes. In N. Crouter & A. Booth, Eds. (Ed.), Work-life Policies (1-51). Wash., D.C.: Urban Institute Press. Download
- Kossek, E. & Misra, K. (2008). Nonwork influences on work motivation. In .Kanfer, G .Chen, & R. Pritchard, Editors (Ed.), Work motivation: Past, Present, and Future (471-500). New York, NY: SIOP Frontiers, Taylor & Francis/ LEA Press.
- Kelly, E., Kossek, E., Hammer, L. Durham, M. , Bray, J., Chermack, K., Murphy, L. , Kaskubar, D. (2008). Getting there from here: research on the effects of work-family initiatives on work-family conflict and business outcomes,. In J. P. Walsh & A. Brief ,(Eds.) (Ed.), The Academy of Management Annals (305-349). New York, NY: Academy of Management/Taylor & Francis. Download
- Kossek, E. & Van Dyne, L. (2008). Face time matters: A cross level model of how work life flexibility influences work performance of individuals and groups. In D. Lero, & K. Korabick, and D. Whitehead, Editors (Ed.), Work -family Handbook (305-330). Amersterdam: Elsevier, Ltd.
- Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Zimmerman, K., & Daniels, R. (2007). Clarifying the construct of family supportive supervisory behaviors (FSSB): A Multilevel perspective. In Research in occupational stress and well-being (Ed.), P. L. Perrewe and D. C. Ganster Editors (171-211). Amersterdam: Elsevier, Ltd.
- Kossek, E. & Pichler, S. (2006). EEO and the management of diversity. In P. Boxell, J. Purcell, & P. Wright, Editors (Ed.), Handbook of Human Resource Management (251-272). Oxford, U.K.: Oxford Press.
- Kossek, E. (2006). Work and Family In America: Growing Tensions Between Employment Policy And A Changing Workforce. A Thirty Year Perspective. In J. O'Toole, & E. Lawler (Ed.), America at Work: Choices and Challenges (53-72). New York, NY: Palgrave MacMilllin.
- Lee, M. ,Lirio, P., Karakas, F., MacDermid , S., Buck, M & Kossek, E. (2006). Exploring career and personal outcomes and the meaning of career success among part-time professionals in organizations. In R. Burke (Ed.), Research companion to work hours and work addiction (284-309). Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kossek, E. & Lobel., S. (2006). Human resource strategies to manage diversity. In A. M. Konrad, P. Prasad, & J. K. Pringle, Editors (Ed.), Handbook of Workplace Diversity (53-74). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Block, R., Malin, M., Kossek, E., Holt, A. (2006). The legal and administrative context of work and family policies in the U.S., Canada and the European Union.. In F. Jones, Burke, R., Westman, M., Editors (Ed.), Work-Life Balance: A Pscyhological Perspective. New York, NY: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Belman, D. & Kossek, E. (2006). Minority and majority truck owner-operators: entrepreneur or galvanized employees?. In J. Tanksy, & R. Heneman& J. Tanksy, Eds (Ed.), Human Resource Strategies for the High Growth Entrepreneurial Firm. (189-222). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Kossek, E. (2005). Workplace policies and practices to support work and families.. In S. Bianchi, L. Casper, R. King (Ed.), Work, Family, Health & Well-being (97-116). New Jersey: Erlbaum Press.
- Kossek, E., Meece, D. R., Barratt, P, Prince, E. (2005). U.S. Latino migrant farm workers: managing acculturative stress and conserving work-family resources.. In S. Poelmans (Ed.), International and Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Work and Family (47-70). New York, NY: Erlbaum Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Kossek, E. (2000). Learning From the working poor and welfare reform: paradoxes in promoting employability. In C. Leanna& D. Rousseau (Ed.), Relational Wealth: A New Model for Employment in the 21st Century. (183-198). Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press.
- Kossek, E. E. (1998). Organizational payback from work/life policies. In Friedman, S., DeGroot, J., Christensen, P. (Ed.), Integrating Work and Personal Life: The Wharton Resource Guide. San Fransisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Klein, E., Kossek, E. & Astrachan, J. (1998). The organization woman: Reflections of society in the workplace. In E. Klein, F. Gablenick, P. Herr, Editors (Ed.), The Psychodynamics of Leadership (279-296). Madison, CT: Psychosocial Press.
- Gash, D. & Kossek, E. E. (1990). Understanding end user training as a lever for strategic organizational change. In U. Gautier and L. Garwood (Eds.), (Ed.), Technological Innovation and Human Resources: End User Training, (229-254). New York: de Grunter.
- Kossek, E. & Hannum, K. Flexibility Can Boost Producitvity.
- Kossek, E. Allow Yahoo Workers to Work from Home.
- Kossek, E. Yahoo ban on working from home is misguided.
- Kossek, E. Work-life conflicts hurt business.
- Kossek, E., Ruderman, M., Hannum, K. & Braddy, P. Work Life Indicator On Line Assessment.
- Kossek, E., Lee, M. & Hall, D. (2007). Making flexible schedules work for everyone. Boston: Harvard Management Update
Publications for Thompson, Rebecca J
- Thompson, R. J., Bergman, M. E., Culbertson, S. S., & Huffman, A. H. (2013). Yes, we’re fishing—In rough waters for hard-to-find fish. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice. 6, 61-65. DOI: 10.1111/iops.12008
- Berry, C. M., Kim, A., Wang, Y., Thompson, R. J., & Mobley, W. (2013). Five-factor-model employment-oriented personality measures and sex-based differential prediction of performance. Applied Psychology: An International Review,62, 13-43.
- Thompson, R. J., Payne, S. C., Horner, M. T., & Morey, L. C. (2012).Why borderline personality features adversely affect job performance: The role of task strategies. Personality and Individual Differences, 52, 32-36.
- Thompson, R. J., &, Payne, S. C. (in progress). Flexible Work Arrangements: Attraction to Flextime, Flexplace, or Both?
- Thompson, R. J., Cook, A. L ., Payne, S. C., & Henning, J. B. (in progress). Telework. Does “why?” matter: Uncovering reasons for telework and their effects.
- Payne, S. C., Thompson, R. J.,& Pesonen, A. D. (in progress). Mentoring in Academia: Who needs it?