The use of the purchasing card for travel expenses is limited to airfare and registration costs for official Purdue business only and should never be used for personal expenses.
If the traveler chooses not to have the registration prepaid in advance using the department p-card, payment of the registration expense is reimbursed when the traveler returns from the trip on the Form 25, Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses.
The process starts with the assumption that the traveler has determined a business need for travel, has obtained reasonable estimates for the cost of the trip, and has all required Form 17 approvals to travel.
Registration fees can be paid in advance by department purchasing card or a direct Invoice Voucher.
- Meals, tours, and other costs in addition to the registration fee must be paid by the staff member
- Appropriate approval process (Form 17 approvals) followed prior to any prepayment
- Other relevant information (i.e., completed registration form or registration receipt) must be attached to the Direct Invoice Voucher or P-Card paperwork
The process starts with the assumption that the traveler has determined a business need for travel and has proper approval to travel on university business.
At that point the business office and the traveler should discuss and agree on the method that will be used for the travel expenses once the Form 17 for the trip is approved.
Once the travel is approved, the business office can proceed with the appropriate payment method using the following procedures.
The Business Office will:
- Make a copy of the approved Form 17 ( if Form 17 is required) and attach it to payment documents
- Review the registration form to assure the expenses are allowable
- Identify and highlight on the registration form any meals that are covered by the registration fee
- Attach the Form 17 copy (See #1) to the registration form
- Process the registration payment using the department purchasing card or prepare a Direct Invoice Voucher (DIV) to be processed in Accounts Payable
- File the paperwork (items 1-5) awaiting the purchasing card transaction listing and the traveler's submission of the Form 25, Travel Reimbursement Request
- When the purchasing card transaction listing is received, verify and confirm that the charges are correct
If a Form 25 will be filed for additional expenses, please reference the Direct Invoice Voucher (DIV) number and enclose a copy of the registration form with the Form 25. Also, deduct any meals that were included in the registration fee from the subsistence. Submit Form 25 for payment with proper documentation (all required receipts)
Any expense that is prepaid by the university must be clearly identified on the Form 17 in section 16 (Notes and Explanations) indicating the method of payment or Form 25 if a Form 17 is not required.
All payments via Direct Invoice Voucher related to staff travel should be directed to the Travel Clerk in Central Travel Office.
Payments and reimbursements via Direct Invoice Voucher for non-Purdue staff, non-Purdue students, non-employees and for prospective employees or students should be directed to the Tax Department.