The Visa travel card may be used for travel expenses such as a conference registration.
If the traveler chooses to pay the registration with a personal credit card, payment of the registration expense is reimbursed when the traveler returns from the trip and provides adequate documentation on the expense report.
Reimbursement on the Expense Report:
- A registration receipt must be attached to the expense report.
- Meals, tours, and other costs in addition to the registration fee are considered personal expenses.
- Appropriate travel request must be processed unless the travel event meets blanket travel definition.
- Other relevant information (i.e., completed registration form or registration receipt) must be attached to the expense report.
The process starts with the assumption that the traveler has determined a business need for travel and has proper approval (verbal, email, telephone, etc) to travel on university business.
At that point the traveler or traveler's delegate should prepare a travel request unless the travel event meets the definition of blanket travel. Blanket travel does not require a request.
Once the travel is approved and the trip is over, the traveler or traveler's delegate must prepare an expense report so the traveler can be reimbursed and any credit card charges can be reconciled.
- Registration form/receipt must be attached to the expense report to assure the expenses are allowable.
- Identify and check off any meals that are covered by the registration fee under Expenses & Adjustments.
- Any items paid with the Visa travel card, i.e., tours, golf green/cart fees, extra-curricular activities, etc should be marked as personal.
- Traveler must submit expense report for payment with proper documentation (all required receipts)
NOTE: Payments and reimbursements via Direct Invoice Voucher for non-Purdue staff, non-Purdue students, non-employees and for prospective employees or students should be directed to the Tax Department.