Advances for authorized university travel are available through the Purdue Research Foundation (PRF).
Arrangements can be made by submitting a request to the PRF business office at least five (5) working days prior to the date the advance is needed. The advance will be ready for pick-up no earlier than two (2) working days prior to the departure.
Travelers eligible for advance are student employees; clerical and service employees; and monthly paid staff with visiting, temporary, or adjunct appointments.
For those individuals who qualify for the American Express Corporate Card, the following items may be advanced:
- Airfare, when it must be paid more than forty-five (45) days before the departure date.
- Subsistence, when the subsistence totals more than $250.00.
For those individuals who do not qualify for the American Express Corporate Card, a travel advance is available for the cost of all items listed on the Form 17, except for university vehicles and registration fees.
University vehicle expense is charged to the department via an intramural invoice voucher (B.O. Form 62) and registration fees can be paid directly to the sponsoring organization on a direct invoice voucher.
If separate advances are requested for airfare, subsistence, or lodging (where applicable), the procedure outlined below must be followed for each check requested.
- Advances must be requested in writing and must include the following:
- A copy of a Form 17 with appropriate approvals. Approval by the Project Administrator in SPS must be obtained on grant funds for all foreign travel.
- A completed PRF Form 1000 (Request for Advancement of Travel Funds).
- The traveler's personal postdated check in the amount of the advance and dated three (3) weeks from the date of return to campus. This check must be payable to Purdue Research Foundation.
- The request must be submitted to PRF, 1281 Win Hentschel Blvd, Kurz Purdue Technology Center (KPTC), a minimum of five (5) working days prior to the date the advance is needed. The advance will be ready for pick-up no earlier than two (2) working days prior to departure.
- The traveler's personal check to reimburse Purdue Research Foundation will be cashed on the date of the check, unless notification of non-reimbursement by the university is provided by the traveler or the departmental business administrator. This notification must be received by the last working day before the date of the postdated check. It is the responsibility of the traveler or the requesting department to inform PRF when reimbursement may be delayed. Such checks will be held no longer than two (2) additional weeks.
- If an advance is determined to be uncollectable upon the expiration of the above mentioned two-week extension or upon return of a check by the bank, the balance due PRF will be charged to department or school discretionary funds held by PRF. Such action, when necessary, will be reported to the appropriate business manager.
- Exceptions to the above policy must be approved in advance by the PRF Director of Finance.