Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Helpful Hints for Completing Form 25


All reimbursements for university business travel are to be requested within 120 days from the end of the business trip.  Reimbursements received after the 120 days may be considered taxable income.

Any Form 25s submitted after the 120 day period will require a statement from the traveler as to why the reimbursement request was delayed.


An employee must adequately account for travel expenses by giving a statement of expense (Form 25, Travel Reimbursement Request) showing dates and destinations of business travel along with documentary evidence (such as receipts), mileage and other expenses related to business travel.

All documentation should be in place prior to sending Form 25 to the Travel Office.  See Role of the Business Office for responsibilities.

Only travel expenses related to University business can be reimbursed. Reimbursement should not be claimed for items provided free of charge (award programs for air, hotel & car, not personally paid for by the claimant, previously reimbursed or prepaid by any source, or costs that will be paid/reimbursed from any other source.

The following bullet points include information that will guide travelers in completing the Form 25, Request for Reimbursement. 

  • Enter the traveler's name.  The name should be the same as payroll records/government ID.
    • Jane Doe could be Jane A Doe, Jane M Doe, or Catherine Jane Doe in the payroll records 
  • Enter the Purdue Staff ID number. Be sure to verify that the PUID number is the person to be reimbursed.
  • Enter the home address of the person requesting reimbursement on appropriate lines at top of the form.  The home address should be the same as HR/payroll system.
  • Enter the purpose of the trip.  Acronyms should not be used on both the Form 17 and Form 25.
  • Check all items prepaid by the department.  NOTE: Receipts should be attached for all prepaid items.
  • Be sure to check the boxes if any of the following apply: 
    • PRF Advance 
    • PRF Check Cash Date 
    • Use of State Rates Required 
    • Personal Travel Included 
    • EFNEP Mileage (Extended Federally Funded Nutrition Education Program)
    • Blanket Travel
  • The Form 25 should reflect the actual trip (times, dates and locations, i.e., city & state/country) from beginning to end including any personal time.  This information is required to accurately determine allowable subsistence.
  • Original receipts are always required for lodging.  Original receipts are required if plane fare (passenger coupon), registration, parking and other miscellaneous expenses are $75 or greater.
  • Airline ticket documentation should include name of traveler, fare class, airline designator codes and flight number, dates and places of departure and arrival, and total cost.
    If the traveler has lost the ticket, some form of documentation should be obtained from the travel agent, airline, or booking tool and included showing payment of the ticket.  This documentation could be the itinerary and charge card receipt, boarding passes, or a receipt obtained from the airline.
  • Charge card receipts alone are not acceptable for reimbursement of any expense but may be used as background documentation.
  • Lodging receipts are always required.  It should include the name and address of the lodging establishment, the nightly single/standard room rate, dates of occupancy, and itemized costs for telephone calls, meals, parking, etc.
  • Additional fees charged for late checkout are not reimbursable.  Normally lodging establishments have facilities to store luggage at no additional cost after checkout.  Payment of hotel charges to store luggage is reimbursable with a receipt.
  • If the room is shared with another employee, reimbursement can be made to the employee that incurred the expense.  Both Form 25s should be cross-referenced.
  • If a staff member occupies a room with a spouse or other non-university person, the the single/standard room rate must be notes on the lodging receipt even if the single and double rates are the same. Room rates for 1 or 2 persons is considered single room rate.
  • Telephone calls for University business can be reimbursed. To be reimbursed, the traveler must indicate which telephone charges were connected with business by stating "business" next to the charge on the receipt or noted on the Form 25. Fax, Email, and cellular phone charges require the same procedure for reimbursement as telephone calls. Cross out all non university calls on the lodging receipt.
  • If receipts are in foreign currency, please go to Oanda.com to find the correct currency exchange rate.  The calculation for the exchange should be written directly on the receipt or print out the currency conversion page from the website.
  • Be sure to separate out the registration and airfare expenses using the specific general ledger account number.
  • If airfare or registration fees were prepaid, please cross reference on the reimbursement request.
  • Any meals provided in the registration fee must be deducted from subsistence on the Form 25.  Find the appropriate deduction amounts on the Meal Deduction page under the Subsistence tab.
  • The standard deduction for meals included in the registration fee or furnished gratis is 25% of full M & IE (subsistence or per diem) rate each for breakfast and lunch and 50% of the full M & IE rate for the evening meal.
  • The subsistence allowance is intended to pay for charges for meals, tips, telephone calls other than official business, laundry and dry cleaning, pressing of clothes, use of appliances in rooms, television, movies or games in room, late check-out fees, travel insurance, etc.
  • Additional charges for books, publications, tapes, etc. from conferences or workshops are reimbursable on the Form 25 if the material becomes property of the department.  A statement to that effect must appear on the Form 25.
  • When being reimbursed for taxi fares, include a notation on the Form 25 describing to/from destination(s).
  • Include a variance explanation if any of the following situations occur for domestic or foreign travel:
    • There has been a significant change in travel plans (i.e., change in dates, cities).
    • Subsistence is requested for more than two days over the number of days approved.
    • Dollar amount is approximately 20% more (higher) than estimated.
    • There is a change in account number (if foreign travel or SPS account numbers).
  • If the travel is authorized as Blanket Travel, the Blanket Travel Box must be checked.
  • Department Head or designee signs Form 25 denoting that funding is available.
  • See Role of the Business Office'.  Business Office should sign on the Comptroller Signature line denoting that the travel adheres to University Travel Policy and all required signatures have been obtained.
  • The traveler must sign their own Form 25.  Electronic or designated signatures are not allowable.
  • Any 'out of the ordinary' situations should be accompanied by an explanation. (Example: Vacation during the trip, side trips, no lodging or subsistence being claimed)


  • Try to keep all receipts in chronological order of the trip.
  • If receipts are numerous, tape or glue the receipts to a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper so they will not be lost. Please remove all staples as the receipts will be microfilmed by Central Files.
  • Please use only one staple to attach all documents to the Form 25.  Staple in upper left-hand corner of the Form 25 document.