Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Instructions for Completing Form 17

The University’s basic travel regulations are issued by Purdue to remain within federal and state travel regulations.  Any reimbursement must be within these rules and regulations. 

One of the primary regulations is that all University travel must be pre-approved before the trip. An individual is in travel status when traveling on official business for Purdue whether or not expenses will be reimbursed by the University.

The Form 17 (Request for Authority to Travel on University Business) is the University document that communicates to the appropriate individual a staff member’s need to be in travel status.  (Exception:  See In-State Travel and Blanket Travel

These approval processes insure that the traveler’s supervisor and/or department head approves of the activity, funds are available for reimbursement of expenses, travel is allowable on the funds and traveler is covered under workman compensation.

If a Form 17 is required, complete the form and forward through the usual administrative channels for approval.  The Form 17 should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to travel to allow time for approvals and prepayments.
NOTE:  The Form 17 must have all approvals before any prepayments can be made, i.e., airfare, registration, etc.

See  Form 17 Variances for policies when major changes happen after Form 17 approved.

Numbers refer to section numbers on the Form 17.  (Please type entries)

1.   Name of individual requesting permission to travel on University business.  Please enter name as it appears in HR/Payroll records.

2.   Enter the PUID - Purdue Identification Number.  (This is required for foreign travel ONLY - See Line 12) 

3.   Enter email address

4.   Identify the department name to which the individual is assigned.

5. - 6.   Departure and return date and hours refer to date and hour of departure from assigned work site.  If someone is taking vacation in addition to their trip, please use actual dates they will be leaving (Line 5) and returning (Line 6), including vacation.

7.   If there are multiple business destinations, all locations (city & state or city & country) should be noted here (e.g., Washington, DC and New York, NY or Paris, France and Berlin, Germany).

8.   Indicate the purpose for which travel authorization is requested.   If any specific duty or assignment has been assumed, give definitive information.  This may affect whether request for reimbursement of travel expenses can be approved.  DO NOT ABBREVIATE OR USE ACRONYMS. 

9.   Indicate here if personal travel will be combined with the business travel.  See statement in Box 16 and visit Personal Time with Business Travel for proper procedures when combining business and personal travel.

10.  Enter beginning and ending times of all official University business.

11.   If the travel is outside the United States, click Yes.  Please include the international evacuation and medical insurance cost of $32 student/grad student for each month (1 to 31 days) of travel in Box 14, Line J, Estimated Expenses.  Faculty and staff should indicate $0 for the cost.  Coverage is mandatory for all international travelers.  The approved Form 17 must be faxed to Risk Management at 765-496-1338.  See Risk Management for a summary of the coverage.

12.  If the travel is to a country with a U.S. Department of State travel warning, the waiver/informed consent form must be attached to the approved Form 17 and forwarded (prior to the trip or purchase of airfare) to the Vice Provost and Dean of International Programs, Young Hall for approval on Line 21 prior to the trip. Faculty/Staff and Grad students in work status must sign the Employee Acknowledgement of Risk form and all other students must sign the Waiver, Release and hold Harmless for Students form.  Both forms can be found in the Decision Matrix tool.

13.  Enter the name(s) of other University staff accompanying the traveler.

14.  List estimated expenses in as much detail as possible in the appropriate spaces.

  1. Number of days and cost for use of University vehicle should be listed here.  Visit the Transportation Web Site for regulations governing the use of University cars, for regulations concerning reimbursement of travel expenses and rates.
  2. Designate here if vehicle used is owned by your department.
  3. Estimated costs for use of private vehicle should be entered here. See Privately Owned Vehicles for detailed information about mileage rates.
  4. Estimate of airfare.  Check here if the airfare will be prepaid.
    • If extra days are included on the Form 17 to take advantage of a discount fare, list the price of both flights. A cost comparison which includes additional lodging, subsistence, parking, etc should be included in Box 16 of the Form 17.  In addition, the cost comparison for business days only (obtained when completing Form 17) must be printed out and attached to the Form 17 and Form 25. 
    • Prepaid airfare and registration expenses must be noted on the Form 17, Box 16 (Notes and Explanations).
  5. Enter estimate of rental vehicle expense.  National and Enterprise are our preferred car rental agencies.  Use Contract ID 5004459 for National and Contract ID XZ15N09 for Enterprise. 
  6. Enter estimate of taxi, shuttle or other local conveyance expense here.
  7. Registration fees may be prepaid by invoice voucher or department credit card.  Check here if prepaid registration.  Be sure to refer to IV document number or attach copies of documentation for expense to Form 25.
    • Membership dues included with a registration fee are not reimbursable
  8. Lodging should be estimated at single/standard room rate for employee only
  9. Subsistence is intended to cover meals, tips, telephone calls other than official business, laundry, dry cleaning, pressing of clothes, use of appliances in rooms, in room movies and games, late checkout fees, luggage storage fees, etc.
    • Paid at the federal M & IE rates for all travel except when state rates are required.
    • If the traveler is not requesting subsistence, lodging, etc., please state on the Form 17 ‘No lodging reimbursement being requested."
  10. Enter amount for International Evacuation and Medical Insurance on this line.  Enter Number of Months (1 day - 35 days = 1 month) and cost is $0 per month for faculty & staff and $32.00 per month for students & graduate students.
  11. Other Expenses (Example):  Additional charges for books, publications, tapes, etc. from conferences or workshops are reimbursable on the Form 25 if the material is kept in the department. A statement to that effect must appear on the Form 25, Travel Reimbursement.

15.  Indicate the appropriate source of funding.  If SPS funds are used, signature of SPS reviewer is required.

16.  Enter all notes and explanations here.  Examples:  Comparisons (a printed copy of the comparison must also be attached to the Form 17 and Form 25) when discount airfare is used, but require a Saturday night stay, justification for use of rental car, additional explanation of personal travel combined with business travel, prepayments of airfare or registration, variance/revised Form 17, etc.

17.  Driver Certification:  If Box 14 A, B, C or E is used, the traveler must make this certification.  If travel involves use of a university vehicle, department vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle, the traveler must review the Use of Vehicles for University Business policy and certify (by checking this box) that all requirements of the policy have been met.  The requirements of this policy must be met even if there is no expense being charged to the University or no reimbursement issued to the traveler.  Also these requirements must be met even if a Form 17 is not required, i.e., in-state or blanket travel.  If traveler cannot certify compliance, then alternate methods of transportation must be used. 
NOTE:  Reimbursement for expenses in Box 14 A, B, C or E are not allowable if traveler does not meet qualifications of the 'Use of Vehicles for University Business' policy.

18.  Signature of staff member requesting travel authorization.  Position and title should also be entered.

19.  The Business Office must approve for Source of Funds.  Delegation to individual business officers will be determined by the level of each person's existing Comptroller authorization.  This source of funds delegation does not replace the programmatic approval delegated to the deans, vice presidents and their designees (See 20).

20.  This approval signature (programmatic or academic) must be approved by the Vice President, Dean or their designee (generally department head).  The Vice Presidents and Deans have been given the authority to delegate this approval to the Department Heads.  See Programmatic Approval for additional information.

21. Any travel to a country with a U.S. Department of State travel warning must be reviewed by International Programs in Young Hall prior to final approval.  Dean of International Programs will request that the traveler complete/sign the appropriate waiver form before approving (See # 12 above for links to appropriate waiver form).