Who can serve as a PI?
All faculty (tenured, tenure-track, research and clinical) are eligible to be Principal Investigators. Others requesting to submit proposals as the principal investigator for the first time must obtain special approval. The request must be communicated to Sponsored Program Services early in the proposal stage. This will allow time to review the situation for the appropriate approval. Blanket approval should only be requested for staff in regular positions where serving as PI is part of the position duties and responsibilities.
Authorization for Non-Faculty PI StatusTo obtain authorization for any non-faculty staff member a request letter or attached form must be written and signed by both the Dean and Department Head. The letter must also contain the following information:
- Name of Staff for whom the authorization is being requested
- Reason or justification the Staff member should be authorized to submit
- Individual’s staff classification
- Individual’s credentials
Requests should also answer the following questions:
- Is the request for a "blanket" authorization, for specific types of proposals, or for a specific proposal?
- Will graduate students be involved in the projects and who will provide supervision?
- Has space been allocated for the project?
If this individual seeks approval to serve as PI on projects involving human subjects, separate approval will be required from Howie Zelaznik, Associate Vice President for Research.The request should be sent to any of the following:
- Ken Sandel, Senior Director, Sponsored Program Services
- Amanda Hamaker, Assistant Director, Pre-Award