Who can serve as a PI?
All faculty (tenured, tenure-track, research and clinical) are eligible to be Principal Investigators. Others requesting to submit proposals as the principal investigator for the first time must obtain special approval. The request must be communicated to Sponsored Program Services early in the proposal stage. This will allow time to review the situation for the appropriate approval.
Authorization for Non-Faculty PI StatusTo obtain authorization for any non-faculty staff member a request letter must be written and signed by both the Dean and Department Head. The letter must also contain the following information:
- Name of Staff the authorization is being requested for
- Reason the Staff member should be authorized to submit
- Is the request for a "blanket" authorization, for specific types of proposals, or for a specific proposal?
- Mike Ludwig, Director, Sponsored Program Services
- Howie Zelanik, Associate Vice President for Research, OVPR Office