TITLE: VENDOR SELECTION
POLICY NO: P-360
SUBMITTED BY: R. BRADLEY &
APPROVED BY: D. SABEL
Effective Date: 05/07 Supersedes No: 11/86 Page No 1 of 1
It is the purpose of this policy to define the responsibility for and provide basic guidelines for vendor selection.
This policy is applicable to all purchases by the University.
The selection of vendors is the responsibility of Purchasing Services, taking into consideration several factors. The buying staff shall coordinate purchases with requesting departments to establish adequate and reasonable specifications. Identification of brand names or sufficient detail should be obtained to insure accurate ordering.
Orders shall be placed with consideration for the dependability and service record of the vendor, the nature of the product warranty, its price and quality. Preference (no priority intended) shall be given to the following types of vendors, providing no sacrifice of quality, service, or price is involved:
1. Vendors who are developing new and improved products or equipment, or designing and developing a special product for use at the University.
2. Vendors with adequate financial strength who also have a reputation for adhering to specifications and delivery schedules.
3. Vendors who have been identified as Small Businesses, Minority Businesses, Women-owned Businesses, and Businesses located in economically depressed areas.
4. Vendors having an adequate technical staff to support their products and service campus customers in the University environment. Proximity to campus can be a factor.
5. Vendors having demonstrated understanding and ability to service educational institutions.
6. Vendors having identifiable skills as commodity or capability suppliers, capable of meeting a specific University need.
7. Vendors having a substantial economic presence in Indiana.