TITLE: VENDOR SAMPLES
POLICY NO: P-350
SUBMITTED BY: R. BRADLEY &
APPROVED BY: D. SABEL
Effective Date: 05/07 Supersedes No: 11/86 Page No 1 of 1
The purpose of this policy is to establish the policy for this handling of vendor samples at Purdue University.
This policy is applicable to all University personnel.
When vendors offer samples for evaluation, acceptance will be based on the following:
1. The product is one which is of a type presently in use or is of potential use to the University. Products that are not likely to be used or purchased by the University should not be accepted.
2. The quantity or size of the sample is relatively small and of nominal value. The purpose of sample evaluation is to determine its fitness for use by the University, not to provide an inventory of product.
3. Hazardous materials such as radionuclides, narcotics, controlled substances, etc., will not be accepted as sample without approval of Purchasing Services and/or the Department of Radiological & Environmental Management (REM).
4. As samples are accepted, they will be promptly transferred to the appropriate area or person for testing/evaluation. At the conclusion of the test/evaluation, the vendor is entitled to an evaluation of the product evaluated, and the tested product will be returned upon request by the vendor.
When Purchasing Services personnel request samples for testing and applicability, as a basis for ordering product, retention of the sample should be discussed with the vendor prior to delivery. Purdue University may retain the sample as a basis for ordering product. Samples to be returned, should be returned promptly after purchase decision has been made.
5. Samples/evaluation equipment of more than nominal value, provided by a vendor for evaluation by the University, shall be insured by the
vendor against all losses unless otherwise agreed to in writing by the parties.
Should it not be feasible to provide sample/evaluation equipment for items such as computers, electron microscopes, etc., Purchasing Services personnel will assist in arranging for demonstrations at a site available to the vendor. Costs associated with such demonstration should be negotiated, if applicable, prior to arrangements being finalized.