Consultant & Personal Payments
Cash Advance Reconciliation Form: Reconciling document for cash advance of per diem and or approved expenses.
Checklist for Determining Worker Classification (Applies to both Resident and Non-Resident Workers): Complete this checklist when there is a question whether the services performed should be classified as independent contractor services. Retain the checklist for your records and document the Form DIV accordingly.
Personal Payments Required Documentation Grid: Outlines the required paperwork for each type of personal payment based on person-type
Initiating a Consulting Agreement & Paying Consultants
- Initiating a Consulting Agreement
- Statement of Work Template
- Substitute W-9
- Use when making participant payments, paying non-Purdue student or non-staff awards, reimbursement of fees/expenses to speakers, honoraria, artists/entertainers, or consultants. Attach to Invoice Voucher, Business Office Form DIV. A Substitute W-9 is required for payments to an individual by a direct invoice voucher. It is not used for an individual who should be paid through payroll. The form serves as documentation that an individual is entitled to receive a payment.
Individual must complete their file in the Glacier software. Copy all required documents per the Tax Summary printed from the Glacier software.
Visa Payment Reference Sheets and Additional Non-Resident Information
- Honorarium Payments to Non-Resident Short-Term Visitors
- Travel Reimbursement to Non-Resident Short-Term Visitors
- Frequently Asked Questions about Non-Resident Payments
Treaty Listing of Tax Treaties (As of January 2005): This grid shows each country that has a treaty with the United States. It is divided by Teacher/Researcher, Student, Scholarship/Fellowship, and Independent Contractor.Use Form W-7 to apply for an IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). An ITIN is a nine-digit number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a social security number (SSN).
All payments require either a social security number or ITIN to be eligible for treaty benefits. If the non-resident independent contractor does not apply for an ITIN, 30% tax will be withheld.
Requests for duplicate year-end tax statements for independent contractors should be directed to the Tax Department in Freehafer Hall (FREH).
Please complete a Duplicate Tax Request Form and submit to the Tax Department for processing.
For more information, email email@example.com or call the Tax Department at 765-496-2344.