Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Frequently Asked Questions

    • What happens to the money in my BoilerExpress account at the end of the semester or school year?
      • Your BoilerExpress account will roll with you from semester to semester and from year to year. Any funds remaining in the account at the end of the school year will still be there when you return the following semester.
    • When I leave the University, how do I close my account?
      • The Card Services Office, requires that you fill out a form to close your account. If you have spent all of the money in your account, there is no fee to close the account. If you are requesting a refund, the refund will be processed by the Bursar's office. Any amount due to the University will be deducted from your balance, and a check-writing fee of $10.00 will be assessed. The remainder will be sent to you at the address you indicated on the form.

      Closure Request Form
      PDF document - Please complete, print and mail to:
      Card Services Office
      Purdue Memorial Union, Room 130
      101 N. Grant Street
      West Lafayette, IN 47906-3574
      (765) 494-8960

    • How do I use the Recreational Sports Center (Co-Rec) with a Staff/Faculty ID
      • Present your employee ID at the Division of Recreational Sports located in the Recreational Gymnasium on North Intramural Drive during operational hours. Ask Co-Rec staff for the current semester rate for a recreational facilities fee card. Present your Purdue Photo ID whenever you use the Co-Rec.
      • Everyone who falls into the eligible ID category, including adjunct faculty, affiliated faculty, visiting scholars, staff, faculty at Purdue West Lafayette and their spouses, may use recreational sports facilities. Retirees and their spouses are also eligible for the same services provided they pay the recreational facilities fee.
    • Where is the most common places students lose their ID Card?
      • Dining Room
      • Recreational Sports Center

Tip: Make sure you put your BoilerExpress Card in the same places at all times and make this a habit!

  • What is the difference between BoilerExpress and Dining Dollars?
    • The BoilerExpress account is a debit account for which you must fill out an application and deposit funds. The Dining Dollar account is automatically opened for you when you sign up for a housing contract through University Residences.
    • Dining Dollars are exclusively for food in the Residence Halls, while the BoilerExpress account can be used all over the University. 
  • Are there special instructions for taking care of my card?
    • Washing of Card: Clean with damp cloth as needed. It is not recommended that you throw your card in the washing machine with your dirty laundry.
    • Drying of Card: If your ID is wet, simply wipe the card with a dry cloth. Using a clothes dryer can prove to be damaging to the card.
    • Bending of Card: The ID card is issued as a straight piece of plastic, and works best if it remains in that shape. ID cards placed in the bottom of book bags tend to suffer when books are dropped in on top of them.
    • Feeding of Pets: Please keep your pets from chewing on your ID card. More suitable food exists for your pets.
    • Magnetic Forces: Magnetic forces tend to have a detrimental effect on the magnetic strip of your ID. Avoid placing your ID on stereo equipment or near other magnetic strips, such as charge cards.  
  • What are the ID rules?
    • DO NOT mutilate the ID, punch holes, or change any of the information on the ID. Any of these misuses will result in a $30.00 charge to replace the ID. The Card Services Office can provide a plastic card holder and clasp for a nominal fee.
    • Do not aid or assist in any of the above with either your ID or that of any other person.
    • Infractions to the above are handled by the Office of the Dean of Students and/or the Purdue police.
  • What if I have a name change and/or ID number change?
    • If you have need to change your name or ID number, you will need to go to the Registrar's Office in Hovde Hall Room 45. After changing your name at the registrar, please bring your current ID card to the Card Services Office in Purdue Memorial Union Room 130. If you do not have your current card or if the ID rules (see above) were not followed, you will be charged $20 to replace the card. If the current ID card is turned in and the ID rules were followed, the card will be replaced free of charge.
  • What is the PUID?
    • The Purdue University Identification (PUID) is a 10-digit number unique to each individual designed to:
    • correctly and consistently establish an individual's distinct identity for university business;
    • have value only in the Purdue University system;
    • serve as one piece of identification. In addition, other means of authentication, such as a PIN, date of birth, or other information, may be required;
    • allow an individual to access information or services when used with additional information;
    • remain the same even when an individual's relationship with Purdue changes over time. 
  • What services does using the PUID provide?
    • The PUID printed on your photo ID card may be used to determine eligibility for services such as use of the Purdue Libraries, academic privileges, access to a computing career account, email privileges, CityBus services, and more. Additional services may be added to the card. This re-carding effort is the first phase in a plan to integrate the use of the PUID throughout the university system.
  • Who receives a PUID?
    • All persons affiliated with the university as a student, faculty or staff member, or affiliate will be assigned a PUID upon joining the university community.
  • How do I protect my new ID card?
    • If your PUID card is lost or stolen, report it to the Card Services Office at 494-8960. Your PUID number is private. Protecting your PUID card is your responsibility. For additional and related information on the privacy of students visit the Office of the Registrar.